Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw blade and drills lubrication tip

Default Saw blade and drills lubrication tip

Pat mentioned trying to buy beezwax in another thread and I thought I would mention that for lubricating my saw blades and also drills, I use standard wax candles as the lubricant, wiping the candle along the rear of the blade lubricates it well.
    A box of 10 Price's Household Candles will only cost £2.99. from a hardware shop like Robert Dyas,
    see; http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/price-s-...FebItAod7jYAWQ
    and this pack of 10 candles will last a very long time as lubricants.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 28-01-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Yes, I use a piece of candle too.
    I've found a candle is also a very good clean way of lubricating plastic curtain rails, and wooden drawers and their runners.

Following James' recommendation, my variation is to use tea lights, because it is easy to remove the foil and wick, leaving you with a handy disk, which can be strung and hung up. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tt1 Tealight Delights..jpg  

I have been using a bit of candle for years and keep breaking blades, sawing a piece of 7cm x 2mm thick silver (just one straight cut) I broke 4 with regular greasing, I have had a New Concept saw for about six months which is lovely so I thought I would try beeswax first, then look to see if it still happens as I havent had this problem before. The blades arent new either, so it must be either me, or the lack of lubrication. My gripe was with Cooksons, my daughter works and asked me to place the order for her, so I proceeded to order, then I remembered the wax, and added it to her order, but she objected to paying so much for the carriage compared to posting (most of the orders we have are around £60 - £70) and also having to wait in for the carrier on her day off, as the postie arrives at about the same time each morning, she could still have done all she needed to do. My husband did a short stint as a courier driver, so if he had 100 parcels and you were on his list as the 97th it would be about 5pm that you would get the parcel and if you only have one day off a week, you dont really want to be waiting in all day, the closest they can get to giving you a time would be either a.m or p.m.
    Last edited by Patstone; 29-01-2015 at 07:23 AM.

I also have a huge candle which I run my blades and drills over, though I tend to use 3in1 oil for lubing now. I also have that stick for of lube… burr life? I find it rubbish.

I have burr life too and find that rubbish. I wondered about 3 in 1 oil, may try that. Surely candles are made from parafin wax not beeswax, (I have a friend that makes candles as a hobby, I will ask her) wondered if that mattered, but if others have been using it ................... may give it a try. I think beeswax is softer constituency.

Yes I think Burr Life and Cut Lube are a waste of money. They crumble and then you have to flame them to keep them together.
    Bees wax clings on for longer, but can actually clog fine blades, causing them to feel blunt.

James is our piercing professional, and if candles are good enough for him, then they are for me too. As described elsewhere though, the wax is applied from the back of the blade, not straight onto the teeth. Dennis.

Sawpiercing is the life blood to the regalia industry and I have been involved in it for nearly 45 years and teaching for at least 20
    I've used beeswax all my working life probably because I don't have to pay for it, candle wax I've also used in emergencies but I've always
    favoured beeswax. When I use the wax I apply it in a single stroke directly onto the teeth, this has served me well over the years and I
    usually have the frame in my hand for a minimum of 15 hours per week.
    This is how I work in my industry where time and speed are essential and I respect other folks views and techniques.

Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Bees wax clings on for longer, but can actually clog fine blades, causing them to feel blunt... the wax is applied from the back of the blade, not straight onto the teeth. Dennis.
    The teeth are (hopefully) downward pointing and do the cutting: the sides of the blade are where the friction surfaces are. I'd recommend to lube with beeswax one stroke to each side. I think applying beeswax to the back is probably a roundabout way of achieving this, but the blade won't begin to benefit until it is blade-depth in.

Default The Case For The Prosecution.

Well, It's likely that there are as many opinions on this as there are professionals, so what chance do we amateurs have? Imagine the scene in a court of law:

Council For The Prosecution (CP): Mr Dennis, could you tell the jury how long you have been an amateur Jeweller?

Dennis: About twenty Years.

CP: Mr Dennis, Could you be more specific than that?

Dennis: Well I started on the first Thursday of May 1994.

CP: If your Lordship Pleases, the jury should not have to put up with the vagueness of this witness. I move that his evidence be struck from the record.

Judge: Granted. Mr Dennis. you may stand down, but I must warn you that if you discuss this case outside the court you will be held in contempt. nor may you search any electronic device on matters pertaining to it. Call the next witness......