Thread: Pattern wire

Default Pattern wire

I have been asked to make a collar using pattern wire. Not really my thing but thought I'd give it a go and it wouldn't be much different to working with the wire I usually use. Wrong.

I ordered one lot which looked ok but was short of the amount ordered, and the replacement is a bit bent up. So my question is, will I be able to straighten it out if I anneal it? Because it is varying thicknesses because of the pattern (although it also seems kind of uneven in thickness anyway), I'm worried about trying to shape it without annealing. It's obviously been hardened and is super-springy and I'm worried it might break in some of the thinner areas. It was quite pricy compared to plain wire and I don't want to mess it up. any advice and/or suggestions welcome

You are quite right to worry Liz, because the best way to straighten wire is by annealing well, clamping one end and pulling hard. Obviously it might not be appropriate in this case, because it might break at a thin section, or at best elongate the pattern.

So your option is to anneal it a and try to straighten with fingers, paying attention to obvious kinks first and then drawing it through your hand, over and over.

If this does not not work, you will have to return it again and explain in detail to your supplier what you are after. Dennis.

I'd see if they can replace the bent bit before you have a go at trying to resolve the problem by annealing Liz. I had the same issue with some rod I received and they were most helpful.
    Jules

Le sigh~ I really don't want to be sending another lot back, plus it's been a week or two now since this replacement came. I'll try annealing and hand straightening as Dennis suggests and then maybe when it's made I can use a mallet on a round form to sort any remaining unevenness out. I really hope I don't get any more requests to use this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    Le sigh~ I really don't want to be sending another lot back, plus it's been a week or two now since this replacement came. I'll try annealing and hand straightening as Dennis suggests and then maybe when it's made I can use a mallet on a round form to sort any remaining unevenness out. I really hope I don't get any more requests to use this stuff.
    try running it through some nylon-nose pliers...
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-3055

or in the absence of these, some standard flat nose pliers can be softened by wrapping the nose in a micro fibre polishing cloth or similar before pulling it through