Name:	IMG_0126_2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	7295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0127_2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	7296
    we have repaired the (traditional) "tongue" style catch a couple of times, & it's just not holding - it is 9ct yellow gold, probably hollow, although it is quite sturdy, but I need to come up with a different catch idea now, to replace the existing - does anyone have any suggestions please?

It seems to me that all you need to do is tighten, or work harden and tighten, the figure of eight catch. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, but unfortunately we have done this a few times, & the customer isn't happy that she has to keep coming back to have it tightened when it only lasts a couple of weeks... I need to come up with something more permanent

OK, why is the tongue not holding? Is it the tongue itself, the slot or is the tongue not springy enough any more?

I think it's both - the slot looks worn, & we have replaced the tongue but it's still not holding the spring. She says she has always had the same issue, even when she was having it repaired by a previous jeweller.

The slot could be built back up (or filled in and filed out again) with either a PUK or a laser, although cleaning the inside square face would be a bit of a pest.
    The tongue's the easy bit!

Actually, scratch that - I think it would be less faff to cut out the existing latch completely, make a new one and use that. Trying to square up the inside of it would be more trouble than it's worth by comparison.

I agree with Peter, I've repaired a few of these over the years and what happens the 2 square edges that touch, the tongue and the inside edge of the bangle start wear (become rounded) that's why the bangle slips apart easily after time, so you need a new tongue and bangle end, and all the bangles I've come across are soooooooo thin and always hollow.

All the bangles I've repaired have had a upright bit on the tongue which you push down to release the spring, this seems to be missing looking at the pics.

Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Thanks for the advice - I replaced both ends, & am keeping my fingers crossed that it will hold out!