Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vallorbe Buff files

Default Vallorbe Buff files

Does anyone have any experience of using these files, which Cookson's have recently started selling?
    There are two types of buff file essentially: standard needle files and escapement ones.
    Do they fill a useful niche, do you think?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have the standard needle files and they make a HUGE difference. Huge

I don't reach for any others these days.

As they are quite new, I don't suppose many members will have been tempted, but I am reluctant to pay for assortments, because I know that in use I will only have two or three favourites.

For mini-buffing I tend to shape up those dark grey emery boards they sell in Boots using a craft knife. So yes, I might buy just one, say a half round one to try out, but not a set. Dennis.

I'd be the same Dennis. When I want to buff a small area, I wrap a piece of buff paper around my needle file and 'buff away'!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    I'd be the same Dennis. When I want to buff a small area, I wrap a piece of buff paper around my needle file and 'buff away'!!
    I've always just wrapped emery paper round any of my files, standard or needle. This need to spend loads of money drives me bonkers!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I've always just wrapped emery paper round any of my files, standard or needle. This need to spend loads of money drives me bonkers!
    Feeling embarrassed, I had mine with some prize funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Feeling embarrassed, I had mine with some prize funds.
    I'll let you off Wallace as it was prize money! I would be looking for something I really couldn't make on my own.

I get a sheet of emery put double sided tape on the rear and then cut strips off, place them onto my needle files or anything lying around which I think is suitable.
    Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

A belated thanks to everyone for their replies.

Just a word of warning. The escapement barrette buff file I ended up with is not a safety back, in spite of what is claimed by Vallorbe.

This is the cutting profile of the one I got:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/images-pr..._050B_1_12.jpg
    In other words it cuts on all three sides.

A bit of delving in the Vallorbe catalogue shows a proper safety back barrette buff file illustrated with only the front edge a cutting edge (alright, the sides always need taking down a bit on a barrette file as well), and an odd specimen (near the top of the page) described as a "Pillar" and as having "sharp edges". This seems to be the one I've ended up with, and yet I can't find it listed for sale separately or as part of either of the two sets of buff files being marketed by Vallorbe and sold by Cooksons. Strangely it disappears from the line-up lower down the Vallorbe catalogue page.

I've contacted Cookson about it, as this subtle variation on the three square file is not much use to me and I'd much rather have a genuine safety back buff file, especially as that is what I was led to believe I was buying.

Yes, that one might have a clock makers application , or be of use for scoring fancy angles. Its the hazard of ordering on line.

That said Mark, I do have three safety barrette needle files and find I just don't use them, as a half round does much the same thing and feels more solid.

For safety all but my square and three square ones, also have one edge ground smooth and polished so that they can be used close to gemstones. Dennis.