Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Humble Beginnings

Talking My Humble Beginnings

Hi Folks,

I joined and posted on the forum last November and just wanted to show you what I have done so far ...please be kind....I feel like a 5 year old showing their mum a sheet of paper covered in glue, glitter and dried pasta and declaring " look mum it's a picture of you!" when in actual fact it looks like an abstract picture of the digestional tract.

I am happily open to constructive criticism but believe me I can see all the imperfections in my works so far, but to be honest its a massive learning curve and I think I've done good for the six pieces I've made. I just keep thinking "I've made that!!!!" and smiling before immediately thinking "hmmm so next time I need to..."

Can I just say, as friends and family may not appreciate this, it takes ages to complete something! It takes 3 times longer than I imagined. I only considered, at first, the making of the item but didn't understand that the planning, sequencing and the finishing is actually sometimes longer than the main gig. Also why can't the hours zoom by at work as quickly as it can when in your studio (ahemmm..teeny spare room) beavering away and only realising it's past your bedtime when you stand up and realise you haven't moved for 4 hours and need to pee.

Please also excuse my photography skills they are non-existent and taken with my phone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	studio.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	7279

Name:	Stacker rings.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	7280

Name:	mum earring.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	7281

Name:	necklace.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	7282

Name:	spinner.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	7283

Having a bit of an issue as don't seem allowed to add anymore images so will add an additional post, sorry.

Sarah.x

Name:	band ring.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	7284

Name:	circle chain necklace.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	7285

Sarah. x

They look fab Sarah. I like the earrings best I think.

There's no need to keep apologising Sarah, you've done really well. And the best part is having people want to wear it. I hope you will post more for us to enjoy. Dennis.

Unusual designs, well done!
    I like the spinner best.
    You need more light I think for your photos, maybe try and take them on a sunny day outside? Although I appreciate that probably doesn't happen often between November and January lol

Well I love all of them, my favourite is the ring on the mandrel. Your bench is almost the same as mine facing trees etc with a radiator underneath - perfect.

Nothing humble about those Sarah, looking good ! Would like to see another pic of the stone set pendant was a bit blurry but maybe just my iPad

Thank you for all your comments, it means a lot as you are all aware how much work goes into it.

I'm really happy with my little work area, I'm very lucky as my partner is a carpenter and made it to fit. The workbench detaches so the day bed can pull out when we have visitors and it is lovely to have a view.

I will try to get some better photos, especially of the pendant as it is quite blurry - I think the toilet roll adds a little touch of class don't you think. Haha.

As soon as I finish some more pieces I will definitely post them.
    I'm working on a silver (4 rabbits & the moon) and copper (tree) overlay piece with a silver banding to surround at present but it is proving challenging. I'm having to do a bit and then put it down, work on something else whilst thinking how I can get the look I want.

Sarah. :-)

That's the way I work as well Sarah, if I'm doing a body of work as I am just now I have about a dozen pieces on the go. It's the way I work best the I can look at each piece afresh

I've enjoyed looking at your fine productions. Yes, happily aware just how much time goes into them all, but you wouldn't do anything else would you (except just finished tax return by necessity!!)

Talking of humble beginnings (I'm still there) working from a toolbox I found (on the campsite I go to in summer recycling is freely recycled by the various inhabitants before being committed to the recycling bins) under the bed.

Difficult to choose but perhaps the last two are my fave's with the originality of the chain through the ring (at least I've not seen it before) and a great way of holding the gem in the ring supported by the wires completing the loop. Great stuff