Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Humble Beginnings

Really great pieces, love the work space
    Using Tapatalk

Love the pieces. I also like the Band ring. I always underestimate the time it takes to make stuff. But then I think 'jewellery time' operates at a different speed to the rest of the world.
    Didi

They're lovely pieces. I particularly like the round pendant with the chain threaded through it, very novel!! Hours in the workshop do disappear, great, isn't it!! I spend quite a while thinking through the stages of a piece before I put saw to metal as it were, the sequencing can be critical. I have also done a lot of the,......if I were to do that again, I would.....

Loving the band ring Sarah. Can I ask how you managed to push over the bezel with the wires in the way?

Hi Sarah, I think your work looks lovely! I am learning and am at a humble beginning too. NEARLY ready to show and tell!!
    Also like your bench and what a view, to gaze out into trees in between jobs! My fave is the band ring with green (peridot?). Well done, you should be dead pleased with yourself.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahb72 View Post
    Love both these, The necklace is especially clever.

I'm fortunate Metalsmith in that I don't have tax returns to complete, I do sometimes get roped in with my OH returns though! The chain is a lovely design but I can't claim credit for it, designed by Vanessa Gade but I do love how the simplicity of it.

I managed to push the bezel over with a burnisher susieq, probably not the correct tool or the best fitted bezel but I couldn't get anything else into such a tight gap. It was a bit of a head scratcher as I couldn't initially work out how to attach the three bands so in the end soldered them on when the band was flat and then soldered the wires when the ring was shaped before then soldering the bezel in place.

Would love to see your work sammyjean, hope to see it on here soon!
    The stone is a 4mm green tourmaline. It is a lot darker than the picture on the cooksons website. It would be lovely to find somewhere local (Northampton) where I could go and select my stones but I tried all the crystal shops in the area and I don't think my skill are up for such irregular shapes.

There are two options for you Sarah:

The periodic RocknGem shows have stands of gemstones ready for setting, if you can find one near enough to you. http://www.rockngem.co.uk/show-dates.html

Also Marcia Lanyon has shows around the country and might be within reach of you, if you email her. http://www.marcialanyon.com/contact.jsp

I sympathise, as choosing stones from illustrations is a bit of a lottery. Dennis.