Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Optivisors

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I have an OptiVISOR - plastic lenses rather than glass, LX4 so 2x magnification and a 10" focal distance. TBH - while I use it a lot - the focal distance is a bit short and I have to watch out for hunching over things when I'm using it.

The solution, obviously, is surgeons' loupes... The cost is quite high though.
    Or swap the lenses Peter...
    Poor old Les

I have the ones that go over your glasses as I can't wear anything around my head ( long story..) they come with 3 different lenses.
    Also have a magnifying lamp which is quite useful and a Leica microscope for when I need more like stone setting.

The ones Peter is referring to are the ones we all need really; it's just the £500+ price-tag that holds us back.

The most critical difference between Optivisors and dental loupes is the working distance, as Peter has pointed out. A 2.5X dental loupe will have a working distance of 400-500 mm, which means you can sit upright in your chair and not have to lean in unergonomically to within a few inches of your work. Other big advantages of the dental loupes are generous depth of field (how big a chunk of distance is in focus) and width of field (how big an area remains in view at one time).

I've got two Donegan Optivisors: the DA5 and the DA10. The latter is 3.5X mag. and has a working distance of only about 4 inches, but to be honest when I'm cutting seats in small prongs I really can't see what I'm doing properly with lower magnification. For the moment the neck has to suffer. A dental loupe and a microscope are on the list though.

I've found Moleroda to be the most competitive place to get your Optivisors from.
    Last edited by Aurarius; 24-01-2015 at 01:55 AM.

I have got two pairs of Optivisors and find that I normally wear glasses for reading etc, so wear them with x 3.00 magnification glasses on top, so in effect wear two pairs of glasses, my smallest stones set so far this way was 1mm diamonds in 1.5mm wire ends, so it works. Sorry picture is a bit blurred, but there are 6 diamonds set altogether.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130110_185837.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	7287

The advantage of the dental headband loupe, is that they are light in weight and less sweaty in the summer. Having tried them all, I would recommend the 4x, which gives you a comfortable working distance and good magnification.

The cheapest source I have found is Hemming Healthcare, who will order them in for you and they cost about £40 inclusive, but less for quantities:

Lactona visor loupe 4x, LAC55054.

As with all plastic lenses in a gritty environment, they are best not rubbed, but brushed with a soft brush as used for make up, or washed with liquid soap, using the same brush and shaken dry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tt3 The Makeup Brush.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The advantage of the dental headband loupe, is that they are light in weight and less sweaty in the summer. Having tried them all, I would recommend the 4x, which gives you a comfortable working distance and good magnification.

The cheapest source I have found is Hemming Healthcare, who will order them in for you and they cost about £40 inclusive, but less for quantities:

As with all plastic lenses in a gritty environment, they are best not rubbed, but brushed with a soft brush as used for make up, or washed with liquid soap, using the same brush and shaken dry.
    Thanks Dennis. Have had a look and the structure doesn't seem as claustrophobic and sweaty ( not that I do of course ) as the optivisor. They don't appear to charge delivery either so think I may go down this route
    Last edited by CJ57; 24-01-2015 at 03:26 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

very similar to mine - which are optisight with a variety of lenses. Similar available: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Donegan-Opti.../dp/B002Z37WPQ

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    very similar to mine - which are optisight with a variety of lenses. Similar available: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Donegan-Opti.../dp/B002Z37WPQ
    Gosh Wallace they just get cheaper, Thankyou x
    Last edited by CJ57; 24-01-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

What would you say the working/focal distance is on those, Dennis? If it's 4X mag it suggests it would be about three inches away. Mind you they also seem to do a 6X version as well, which would give a working distance of about 1.5 inches. That's assuming the magnification claims are correct.
    Mark.

Hi Mark, they have a good depth of focus so, wearing my reading/working glasses as well, my work can be between 150 and 210mm distant as measured from the bridge of my nose.

The magnification of the 4x is more difficult to assess, but looking at squares using one eye with and one eye without, I would put it at a little less than 1½ times. So the term 4x has some optical connotation I don't understand.

What is more, the Lactona 2½ times is virtually useless to me, being too weak. Dennis.