Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting an opal

Default Setting an opal

I've been asked to bezel set a small (about 5mm, I think) teardrop shaped opal which does not have a flat bottom. My question is, would it stand up to being ground flat with my Jooltool? If not, how would you set it?

Definitely risky Carole, not least because it might fly away . Much safer to lay out for a cheap set of these and do it by hand with plenty of water. To save small stones catching on the holes you can run them up one side, or along the cross pieces.

Not a waste, because they are also good for straightening and finishing metal edges. Dennis.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-19...arpening+steel
    Last edited by Dennis; 23-01-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks very much Dennis.

I've just seen the stone and it is very rounded indeed. The customer has asked me to set it into its setting using resin and then push the bezel over the top. His reasoning being that an opal doublet already has resin on the back anyway. I see his point and hopefully it will look fine. Problem is that now I know he paid £250 for it!

Yikes! £250 of lovely fragile opal!

I carve opals sometimes using my pendant motor which works fine on a slow speed so I would think if you take it steady you should be ok just grinding a flat back. No idea whether the Jool tool would be a good option for that though.

I'd be terrified to try grinding it now Sarah. I think I'll go with the resin option.

Hi Carole,
    Are you making the setting? Wondering if it's possible to take away from the seat of the setting rather than from the opal? I've done open backed bezel setting for a doublet teardrop opal which worked quite well, and let a good amount of light through too (it was a jelly opal). I've ground down good opal before with no ill effects, but equally I've had one's shear in half when just setting them (and thought there was no problem!). What sort of opal is it?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'd be terrified to try grinding it now Sarah. I think I'll go with the resin option.

That would have been a good idea but I've offered to engrave the back now, so I don't think he would be happy. It's a bright blue Australian opal.

Ooh. I would love to see it when you're done - hope it behaves itself x

Another who would love to see it when you finish Carole
    Wise choice I think!

I would avoid grinding it if you can opals are funny things,I like the idea of cutting the setting to match the radius on the stone, I did a similar custom one, only it was claw set ,the back was made to fit the stone.