Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Working with Coal

Default Working with Coal

I have been commissioned to create a pendant using a a piece of coal within the design. Any tips on what type of coal to use, setting coal, cutting, polishing ect would be very handy!

Thank you very much, Mari

Ask your customer if you can use Whitby Jet as it is usually classed as the gemstone equivalent of coal.

James

If you find an irregular piece, you might consider a variation of this setting, which I used for broken safety glass, as it is easy to adapt. in this case for ear studs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sg Mounts for Safety Glass.jpg   sg Safety Glass Ear Studs.jpg  

I was wondering if there is an alternative - coal is so fragile. We use some in 'naughty or nice' glass bottles at Christmas, and were discussing if it could be set in some way. I'm guessing it could be bezel set with the top filed flush, but is still so soft and cleaves so easily, I'm not sure how long it would last.

I'd second James's suggestion about Whitby jet.

If they're dead set on coal, I'd recommend using a closed back bezel design and then seal the top of the coal with either ordinary or doming resin to protect it as coal is so soft and it would potentially also leave dirty marks.

Quote Originally Posted by mari eluned View Post
    I have been commissioned to create a pendant using a a piece of coal within the design. Any tips on what type of coal to use, setting coal, cutting, polishing ect would be very handy!

Thank you very much, Mari
    It might be worth putting the question back to your client : what coal did you have in mind.
    Obviously they may expect you to know enough to suggest - either Jet, as elsewhere is the obvious choice. This is coalified monkey puzzle tree (the best stuff from here in Yorkshire, but alternatives - of much lower grade are found in France and Turkey I believe) - or Anthracite: this is a proper coal, but has a very high carbon content and a low hydrocarbon content, which is good. Anything else is likely to be dirty, smelly and not robust.
    Anthracite is hard and glassy, but can split irregularly. Ensure that you get the natural stuff, not beans/ pellets. I'm not practised at polishing coal, but Anthracite is naturally very shiny so I doubt it would need it.

It will be interesting to see your designs or finished piece.

If you go the coal or anthracite route, you might have to visit a coal merchant in the hope of picking up straypieces, rather than investing in a whole bag.

However dirty would not be a problem, as you can coat it with ProtectaClear to seal it http://everbritecoatings.co.uk/jewel...-kits-10-c.asp.

Dennis.

Woop!

I can help here - my first proper response in a thread..

As well as Jet there is also Cannel coal. Although not as hard as Jet, it's still used for carving and then polished. Cannel coal is far more common that Jet;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	286464.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	7367

Well I'm sure we are all pleased with your reply too Mr/Ms sausage, but this thread is nearly a month old and Mari has never retuned to acknowledge her replies or let us know what she eventually did.

This is quite common and speaking for myself I find it the most frustrating thing about forums, although I have a little list. Dennis.