Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working with Coal

I do wonder why people urgently ask for advice and then never come back. Maybe they are just serial questioners ( is that a word) and they get better responses on other forums

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Might I ask what else is on your list, Dennis?
    The Newbies who just say hello
    And not another thing,
    Who never post a useful thread,
    Nor show their gem set ring.

Koko's song from the Mikado traditionally had topical items inserted, ending in: I've got a little list and they'll none of them be missed.
    In my student days around 1949 I was a member of a Gilbert and Sullivan society and sang my heart out in the chorus. Family and friends were dragooned into buying tickets and being thoroughly bored by the Victorian humour.

If any one wants to start a new thread, I'm sure there will be a dozen more pet hates. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The Newbies who just say hello
    And not another thing,
    Who never post a useful thread,
    Nor show their gem set ring.
    When Dennis sang in operetta,
    Way back now in '49,
    No-one sang a chorus better,
    For he was in his prime.

And now he's older and makes jewelry,
    Though forum newbies treat him cruelly,
    And others of us act unruly,
    His unique work can charm us truly.

Haha madness. I may be on the wrong forum!

I was a moderator on an 'Urban Exploration' forum a while back. The worst thing on there was the spam..

Anyway, carving jet? I've no idea. It'd be guessing really. It can't be as hard as say flint or quartz? The worst but will be the black dust from the carving. I'd do any carving in a different workshop because the black dust will get everywhere..
    On a similar note - amber. Very much from the same source. How is amber carved? I think amber will be far softer than jet though?

Amber is very soft, I have a collection gathered by my uncle on the Baltic coast. It saws and files easily but the dust is very fine but at least it's white. Takes on an amazing polish though

what is good for polishing amber please? I bought some rough pieces years ago, must dig them out!

Hi Lydia I just polished it with tripoli and rouge so any equivelant. It is a resin so don't press too hard or it will burn into the Amber. I use my Dustmaster 3 or 4 ins mops with care go quite softly and gently and it will come up like glass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	7375. Sadly seem to have lost this box, no note of sale but I don't have it . I would probably have kept it now as it was such an amazing piece of Amber. I can't bear to use and sell the other pieces for sentimental reasons now

Lovely! I have only a pendant motor, and assume when I've tried previously I've been too heavy handed. Thank you

Probably, just use the softest mop you can get and a light touch. It is possible to use toothpaste on a duster!

I asked about amber because I too have some I found - mine came from the Northumbrian coast. It's rough and has dirt in it but there are clearer parts too. I was hoping to drop a tiny polished piece into a pendant. Something personal.
    I have tried a quick file of it and was convinced I could smell the resins - the pine smell. I'll try a slow gentle speed on it when the time comes. Many thanks for that.