Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working with Coal

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Are they made out of coal sausage?
    This is what it says on wiki Sarah http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannel_coal
    At least some of it might be true

I refuse to eat coal sausage.
    I was just reading the wiki page - I've got a little bag of coal we use to fill bottles at Christmas time. For the non-festive gift giver.

Some of it might be true? C'mon - I may have a random name (I'm a Mr!) but why would I put something up which isn't true? I never lie..

I do apologise though - my bad for not spotting how old the thread was. In future I'll check my sell by dates!
    I'm a busy chappie and don't always call by here..

Yes those boots are Cannel coal - lots of other stuff was made from it too - usually vases or urn shapes - I think because it was stronger like that?

Didn't know you wrote the wiki page Sausage Wiki aren't reknowned for being totally factually correct so I take a lot of it with a pinch of salt

No - I know the stuff personally. Not to talk to (!) but I have a fair bit of the stuff here. I was given it by a friend who was a mining engineer for many years.

In its raw state cannel is like 'floury' glass. It fractures cleanly too. It doesn't look like coal. Haig Pit in Wigan actively mined the stuff. It was used in coal gas production.

Anyway, I doubt I'll try making something with it added in - though my mind is sorta going over the idea!
    Last edited by Sausage; 17-02-2015 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Spellings

Sounds interesting, I have quite a lot of antique jet beads that I picked up at auctions over the years but I've never actually tried to work it. Do you know how it's carved, does it need special tools?
    It would be good to find a new material to work with, I have a bag of Ivory offcuts bought legally in the 70s which of course are neither ethical nor legal to use now and I will probably have to burn them. Unusual materials are now quite difficult to come by

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    this thread is nearly a month old and Mari has never retuned to acknowledge her replies or let us know what she eventually did.

This is quite common and speaking for myself I find it the most frustrating thing about forums, although I have a little list. Dennis.
    Might I ask what else is on your list, Dennis, apart from forum phantoms who suddenly materialise with questions and then vanish just as suddenly for reasons best known to themselves?
    Maybe people on forums who chivvy you to reveal the workings of your mind is on your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Might I ask what else is on your list, Dennis, apart from forum phantoms who suddenly materialise with questions and then vanish just as suddenly for reasons best known to themselves?
    Maybe people on forums who chivvy you to reveal the workings of your mind is on your list.
    Maybe they don't really exist Mark and it's the robots that Stephen Hawking is warning us will be the ruin of mankind!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Maybe they don't really exist Mark and it's the robots that Stephen Hawking is warning us will be the ruin of mankind!
    I'd believe anything where the Internet is concerned, but people are strange enough, leaving aside the bots. I'm a moderator on a language forum and I've had to deal with all sorts of things over the years, including accusations of plagiarism made by universities, libel claims, predatory grooming (incl. sending images of certain parts of the body via pm's), not to mention the occasional hounding by Getty Images and their threats of court action; they hoover up forum content everywhere to make sure you're not using one of "their" images without permission, i.e. without having paid them for the privilege.