Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing silver solder from copper sheet

Attachment 7213

Here's a picture (not very good light now, so apologies)
    The copper is 0.5mm thick and the silver wire is 0.8mm thick.

I've not heard of using abrasive stones, how do you go about using them? Like using a file?

I couldn't see your image Claire.

If it were me, I would use a roll sander in my pendant drill and clean it off. If it's a flat piece, it will work fine and come off in seconds. Roll sanders are available from Cooksons.

You can also use tippex quite successfully to stop the solder flowing over your piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire D View Post
    Attachment 7213

Here's a picture (not very good light now, so apologies)
    The copper is 0.5mm thick and the silver wire is 0.8mm thick.

I've not heard of using abrasive stones, how do you go about using them? Like using a file?
    Claire, yes they are used like a file, they will remove marks in metal. One of the common uses for them was to remove engraving. If you can find someone who has any Water of Ayr stones they are well worth having, you can shape the points with a file to suit whatever job you want to work. You just dip them in water as a lubricant. This is one in use. And your photo doesn't show.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	380 Using a water of ayr stone.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	7214

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Sarah, use rouge powder mixed with water into a paste that can be applied with a paintbrush, this has been used in the trade a a block for solder runs ever since I have known. After soldering just wash off the hardened rouge with running water and a stiff brush, do this before pickling otherwise you will get red pickle. I mix my rouge paste in a tiny plastic lidded box, it will harden and set after a while but it can be returned to a paste by adding a little more water when needed.

James
    Brilliant thank you James!

Someone told me that thin electrical wire will mop it up when hot. Never tried it tho.

Hi Claire, I've heard of using spent pickle to copper-plate items when you want to hide silver solder lines. Not sure if this would be applicable (since I cant see the picture) and I wouldn't think it would hold up to a lot of wear and tear/polishing. But if you wanted to try it you take some old pickle (the bluer the better), add your silver piece, and introduce some iron to the pot. Voila, copper plated. As I type this I realize you probably don't want <b>everything<\b> to be copper (again can't see the photo, but you mentioned silver wire) so this probably won't help. I'm post it anyway incase it helps someone else. Good luck

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    - Emily

If you really need to try and salvage the copper, I would be tempted to try some solder braid or solder mop as it is sometimes called. It is designed for desoldering electronic components and is like a braid of thin copper wire impregnated with flux. It is usually used with a soldering iron, but may work for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5615.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	7215

Weird that my picture doesn't show, hopefully this one will.

I've got a roll sander although it's just what came with my demel and I think it's a bit coarse. Out of interest, how do you get the tippex off once it's dried?

Now I see you photo Claire, buy yourself some rubber abrasive wheels like these; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-970-450
    and a mandrel; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AET

and you can clean up the solder easily with your dremel.

I actually use Cratex rubber wheels in all grits for cleaning up my leaves when I make them.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 09-01-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Now I see you photo Claire, buy yourself some rubber abrasive wheels like these; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-970-450
    and a mandrel; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AET

and you can clean up the solder easily with your dremel.

I actually use Cratex rubber wheels in all grits for cleaning up my leaves when I make them.

James
    Excellent, thank you, I will try the rubber burrs.