Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grs8 engraver wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    If you don`t fancy spending a fortune, get a benchmate system & remain old school.
    This will take alot of pressure off your clamp holding hand & you`ll find it helps alot...this is because it holds the work alot tighter than you can by hand & you don`t lose that energy generated..so you`ll find cutting alot easier.
    I have got one find it easier and quicker with just ring clamps never get any hand strain ,if your pushing that hard you're getting hand strain your doing it wrong ther is no need to push on any job that hard you will end up braking a lot of stones
    And damaging the job especially if you slipp you will plow straight across it , the amount of setters I have taught first
    Started of with scorpers like chiseled ends but when I taught the have very fine thin tips and very sharp with a technique
    I developed they could not believe the difference how much less effort was envoled and they stopped braking stones
    I saved on company over £20,000 a year were there setters were braking stones left Wright and center
    You must be doing it wron

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmoto View Post
    I have got one find it easier and quicker with just ring clamps never get any hand strain ,if your pushing that hard you're getting hand strain your doing it wrong ther is no need to push on any job that hard you will end up braking a lot of stones
    And damaging the job especially if you slipp you will plow straight across it , the amount of setters I have taught first
    Started of with scorpers like chiseled ends but when I taught the have very fine thin tips and very sharp with a technique
    I developed they could not believe the difference how much less effort was envoled and they stopped braking stones
    I saved on company over £20,000 a year were there setters were braking stones left Wright and center
    You must be doing it wron
    I am hoping this is not going to turn into a setting contest, I appreciate your wealth of knowledge on the subject. This can be said for many members, sharing would be lovely and being kind to each other is always nice to read
    Last edited by Wallace; 12-01-2015 at 03:18 AM.

My website has been neglected for a while & needs some pictures I agree, for the time being I have a gallery of things I can`t do...

Lots of workers have given up the commute, I could name half a dozen decent setters working from home these days.
    Unfortunately i`m not in the best location logistically, however thankfully some can oversee that & prefer the extra couple of days postage for the result.

Say hello to George for me.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 12-01-2015 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    My website has been neglected for a while & needs some pictures I agree, for the time being I have a gallery of things I can`t do...

Lots of workers have given up the commute, I could name half a dozen decent setters working from home these days.
    Unfortunately i`m not in the best location logistically, however thankfully some can oversee that & prefer the extra couple of days postage for the result.

Say hello to George for me.
    My stay away from the garden was not at first by choice , I had a near fatal motorcycle accident and took 5 years of opporations to keep my leg so I could not do the commute and when I got better did not see the point of going back
    As all my customers are up and down the country and was posting to them anyway, but did mis everyone and working
    From home was lonely that's when I started teaching to get out and meet people was driving me crazy being at home
    All the time and found myself working 24/7 so a year ago got a workshop with two friends and it's been great.
    And your right Chris many people I no are leaving and already left the garden rent to expensive and the work is not there anymore, jewellery shops being replaced with coffe shops and restaurants a bit like clerkenwell years ago the jewellery
    Trade was there and then moved to hatton garden when the rents were to high as my father told me he was a mounter
    And started there as a young lad.
    Sure I will tell George you said hi

Quote Originally Posted by johnmoto View Post
    I was speaking to George from Stubbs tonight about you he said he nows you and both agreed you should put some
    Pictures of your work on your website so people can see what you can do .
    I have just found my old instagram gallery, so that`s back up & running with a handful of new things to add soon....shame digital cameras were not available 20 years ago.
    I guess some pictures are better than nothing

Looks great Chris! lovely to see some of your fantastic work.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Looks great Chris! lovely to see some of your fantastic work.
    That's the boring bread & butter stuff & tools unfortunately, shame I never had the hindsight to record stuff before technology became easy..I've a few interesting old photos but they don't translate digitally well enough..but nevermind!
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 17-01-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Well then you will just have to make more and get photos of them
    Looks good though, and definitely much better having some work on show.

Hi John , I don't have an engraver , but I have a GRS Benchmate system for sale in classifieds if you are interested .

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    Hi John , I don't have an engraver , but I have a GRS Benchmate system for sale in classifieds if you are interested .
    Thanks I will take a look