Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rsi

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Default Rsi

I have just been diagnosed with Repetitive Strain Injury of the tendons in my right thumb - really painful, the Doctor said it is almost certainly due to my Jewellery making - probably sawing with a piercing saw and has recommended that I completely rest it for 6 weeks. This is almost impossible so I may try using the left hand for sawing, a real bummer as I have several quite nice commissions to do that involve a fair amount of piercing (Celtic Knot pendants and earrings).

The rigours of old age catching up with me.

Not a lot you guys can do except I would be interested if anybody else has had this problem and how they resolved it. A bucket load of sympathetic aaahs and ooohs may help ;0)
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Aaah, oooh. For the rest I think not using the thumb is probably best. Hope it gets better soon.

Probably depends how bad it is but mine normally sorts itself out way quicker than that so I would be optimistic- maybe give it a day or two of total rest then use it less?

After over 45 years in this business I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my fingers nothing that a few pain killer's can't solve, the pain can be problematic but Cameron isn't going to look after me so on I go.

In'85 I had severe pain in my left hand thumb (I'm right handed) this was caused by filling 600 M.B.E.'s O.B.E's problem was solved with a cortisone injection, cleared up in 2 days

Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

have an oooohhh and ahhhhh from me, too.

I developed RSI from typing about a year ago. I initially overcame large bouts of transcription by using voice to type software which is of no help to you. However, I found it impossible to actually do 'real' writing so now I have to work in bursts making sure I take breaks every 30 mins or so and do a series of stretches, which hasn't cleared it up, but it means I can carry on. In terms of making, I find i have to work in the same way: 10 mins of hand/arm stretches for every 30 mins work. I'm currently also dealing with adhesive capsulitis, but fortunately that is not a permanent impairment.

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Thanks for the aaahs and ooohs - I feel better already.

I have rested it for over a week with no improvement, in fact it is worse so I think there is something else I am doing that is aggravating it. No dirty innuendos please 😉
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

I wouldn't even have thought of one if you hadn't mention it

Barry, Oooh, poor you! Where are you? My day job is in Physical therapy, recently helped someone with RSI. No promises but it can often be sorted.
    Didi

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    Not a lot you guys can do except I would be interested if anybody else has had this problem and how they resolved it. A bucket load of sympathetic aaahs and ooohs may help ;0)
    My right arm was partially but permanently paralysed in a motorcycle accident many years ago. I have had chronic problems with overuse symptoms in all parts of the other arm.
    RSI usually entails inflammation of the affected tendons. There are a few things in addition to rest that can help.
    1. Anti-inflammatory oral medication or anti-inflammatory gels applied topically.
    2. Massage
    3. Immobilization by strapping or taping the affected part
    4. Application of an ice pack for 10-15 minutes followed by warming of the area with a warm pack. This procedure increases circulation and promotes healing.

Aurarius, sounds about right to me. The hot/cold packs can have a really beneficial effect. If you can't get the packs then hot/cold flannels work just as well. Use the cold one tip it's warm and the warm one till it's cool.
    Didi