Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rsi

Acupuncture works amazingly well for RSI.

Couldn't agree more Carole. Acupuncture is fab. Also the Emmett technique is brill and works quickly.
    Sometimes though with thumbs there is more joint involvement particularly the middle joint which comes under great stress. If it is the middle thumb joint, then Ant-inflams and splinting in the straight position are good home helps. I have known people who splint their thumbs and use the fingers for grip when it's really painful.
    Didi

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Once again thanks to all for your suggestions, i will certainly be trying some of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

I have RSI in my left thumb, the big joint where it meets the palm of my hand. I was told by my osteopath that mine is linked to a stiff tendon in the inside of my elbow and the exercise I have been given is to stand with the affected hand flat on a desk but rotated so that the fingers of the hand are pointing to my body, fingers spread out. Then with arm straight, lean slowly into the hand which in turn gently stretches out the elbow; I then gradually increase the pressure of the lean and hold for up to 20 seconds at a time. It's quite a small movement but very effective. Repeat as often as I remember. Works for me to keep it under control.

Obviously there are likely to be lots of different types of thumb RSI so no one control-all remedy. I hope you find yours gets better soon though.

Now off to google the Emmett technique.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    have an oooohhh and ahhhhh from me, too.
    I initially overcame large bouts of transcription by using voice to type software which is of no help to you...
    Voice-activated piercing saw!! Off to the patent office for me ... left a bit! right a bit! to me! to you!

Real interesting forum this. I now know of a number of remedies for RSI plus I am looking forward to that voice activated saw patent

RSI is a problem which will recur from time to time. The secret is to ask to be referred to a hand clinic.

They will be able to provide a custom splint, made from thermoplastic sheet and fastened with Velcro, leaving the end of the thumb exposed. This will go a long way towards allowing you to wok with less strain.

It would look rather like this http://www.orfit.com/en/aquafit-ns/.

I would add that if you decide to do this, I would take the saw frame along so that they have a better understanding of the problem. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-01-2015 at 09:05 AM.

I've seen 3d printed casts being used, I wonder if there's an application here as well?

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    Voice-activated piercing saw!! Off to the patent office for me ... left a bit! right a bit! to me! to you!
    If only one could think very hard and create that way!