Thread: Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time

Default Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time

I recently bought, on impulse, some beautiful stones with the idea of setting them into rings and turning them round quickly as they were a lot more expensive than I would usually use.
    They are beautifully faceted trillion, and I thought I would buy sterling silver ring blanks as I really feel it is beyond me to make settings for them.
    Unfortunately I cannot find anywhere in the UK that sells them.
    I do not really want to be ordering from the US, as that will be rather costly.
    The stones are all 5mm.

Any ideas would be welcome, please.

I haven't seen ring blanks for trillions anywhere so you may find you have to make them.
    I have my first to do soon, how hard can it be, right?

It will take a bit of practice to make bezels for faceted trillions, but it helps to use soft strip such a fine silver, stick the stone down (upside down) with BluTack to keep it still and aim to make the seam in the centre of one of the sides.

You can also improve the shape using a three sided triblet (mandrel). Unfortunately the only one I can find is part of a set from Proops, but quite modestly priced:
    http://www.proopsbrothers.com/set-x-...els-1759-p.asp.

Once you have made a fitting bezel, you will need a bearer to support the stone, by:
    1. Having it a bit tight and cutting an inside ledge with a burr or graver.
    2. Soldering in a supporting wire.
    3. Soldering in a second smaller and lower triangular construction.

If it is a triplet with sharp corners, they are in danger of breaking off during setting, so you might think of making thin saw cuts at the corners to relieve them. Dennis.

Dennis, you make it sound so easy. I have still not got round bezels to a standard I am happy with. My customers think they are fine, but I don't. I am starting to think I may have made a big mistake with this purchase.
    Never mind. I will have a go.

If you do use 0.3 mm fine silver it makes life a lot easier, its really malleable.

Ah! I have been searching for trillion settings for a very long time.....without success.
    I have tried (many times) to make them but can't seem to get them good enough. They are incredibly fiddly.
    It's my favourite shape and I have quite a few stones waiting to be made up. Perhaps I should enrol in a course somewhere.
    Happy New Year to everyone