Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first post

Hi,
    I have tried looking for Gemporia on Google, but come up with TV shopping.

Can you give me any more info - like a website link please.

Phil (philongold@gmail.com)

Hello Carlton,

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean - 'I leave the stones to the experts'?

Don't you use stones in your jewellery?

Great tip re Ultrasonics - your brew sounds just the job - cheap and if it works - wonderful. I will try it. Having said that, I used some stuff I bought from CooksonGold called Sea Clean 2
    (or something like that) yesterday to clean a ring I had just made. I didn't give it a scrub with a brush as I would normally do, I just put it into the ultrasonic bath as it came off the buff - all covered in rouge, just to see how this new Sea Clean would work. It did a FANTASTIC job, all sparkly and clean - Just how I like it!

By the way - you should only use Pure Hair Bristle brushes to brush jewellery - and old badge hair shaving brush is the best - or a proper cleaning brush from Suttons Tools B'ham or somewhere of that ilk.

What sort of jewellery do you make? I hope to post some of my older pieces as well as my new stuff soon - If I can work out how to post images on this forum.

All the very best

Phil, just took a peek and if you scroll down to the bottom and look at the bottom left of the page, you can change the currency to GBP

So far I have had no problems ordering from her and things usually take .. hmm .. around 7-10 days to arrive. I assume you can also pay for rush delivery, but I always take the cheapest shipping route possible which for me is usually around $6 (Canadian) which isn't bad at all.
    - Emily

I live in Devon, England and Joopy takes about the same time to get to me, around 7 - 10 days. Never been disappointed with her stones. If its something she doesnt have in stock she will source it for you.

Hi Phil
    Stones are used in probably 2% of the Jewellery I manufacture and then is sent across the road to the setter while I carry on churning out the next order.

When I'm working for myself I make the odd piece of jewellery with stones, so I'm no expert, if I want the odd stone I'll walk out into the JQ Brum and go to LA Overseas or Julie's.

I use a toothbrush in my ultrasonic because my shaving brush is way too soft, when the compound is removed I give my work a dry polish and put it back into the ultrasonic for one more blast.... Job done

Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    ..... If you are worried about toxicity, then there is nothing cheaper than a saturated solution of boric acid crystals in meths.....
    Boric acid is on the REACH regs svhc list (substances of very high concern).
    Might not be a good idea to eat it if you are thinking of reproducing.
    Probably safe for me and you then Dennis :-)

If you eat boric acid you get what you deserve and the same goes for drinking the meths.

Hello!
    All been said but my favourites are Wards and Kernowcraft are good in that you can ask for specifics when ordering online, Manchester Minerals are cheap, but the variation in stone quality is amazing - it's pot luck really. I've ordered a 5mm cabochon emerald from them on different dates at the same cost - one was 4mm, but amazingly beautiful, clear and perfect emerald green. The other was irregularly shaped, almost entirely opaque with a huge muddy inclusion. I ordered ten carnelians recently as I only needed two - the variation in stone depth, clarity and colour was immense. There were luckily two about the same! I find their faceted stones more reliable, but their opals are always good. The gemporia one is gemcollector.com

Default Hi Lydia?

Are you the lady I see on Cookson's YouTube videos? I also have my own YouTube channel at philonthefly - nothing to do with jewellery making.

Thanks thanks for your in-depth reply.

It must be a bit of a pain if you don't get consistency from Man Mins. I think I would rather pay a little more per stone and know what I was getting.

I looked at Kernowcraft and thought it was a place where one might buy 'tumble polished' stone or where holiday makers and these people that 'glue' stones onto pre-formed ring blanks would go. Maybe I have done them a injustice and better look again.

Since I posted my original item, I have been put onto Designer Cabochons in Hatton Garden and a guy called Roderick Booth, who I understand does some amazing stuff. Have you dealt with them at all.

I have another question - how did you get to do videos for Cooksons? As I said, I make my own videos and publish them on my YouTube Channel (I am also linked to a couple of other very well know websites). I have though about making some videos on jewellery making and designing. I have over 38 years experience and ran my own very successful jewellery design company in the Cotswolds for may years. Do you think there is a need and if so what type of videos are needed. I have seen lots of your videos so I know you have experience at this as well, that is why I am asking your opinion.

It would be great to hear back from you if you have the time.

Meanwhile, keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    Hello!
    All been said but my favourites are Wards and Kernowcraft are good in that you can ask for specifics when ordering online, Manchester Minerals are cheap, but the variation in stone quality is amazing - it's pot luck really. I've ordered a 5mm cabochon emerald from them on different dates at the same cost - one was 4mm, but amazingly beautiful, clear and perfect emerald green. The other was irregularly shaped, almost entirely opaque with a huge muddy inclusion. I ordered ten carnelians recently as I only needed two - the variation in stone depth, clarity and colour was immense. There were luckily two about the same! I find their faceted stones more reliable, but their opals are always good. The gemporia one is gemcollector.com