Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first post

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Hi Phil,
    Check out; http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/ they took over Hilton Bros. lapidary and stock some nice stones.
    Manchester Minerals are still owned and run by the Hilton family.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyjean View Post
    Hi Phil!!
    I also use Manchester Minerals and its back in my home town of Stockport.
    They moved from Stockport last year.

Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum,

I'll leave the stones to the experts,

"The ultrasonic" I find that fairy liquid in hot water (in my ultrasonic) works just as well as some of the industrial strength mixes
    I usually scrub the piece with a toothbrush at regular intervals because there's always some compound that won't let go.

I love polishing, I buff my work smooth and if I see fire stain ill use a stiff polishing mop and hit it hard dipping the piece in water
    to cool it at regular intervals, I only ever use one polishing compound (works for me) Dialux Bleu.

Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Try Gemporia. Steve Bennett knows his stones and has some more unusual ones ..or, if you (or anyone else knows what they want) I'm off to the Hong Kong show again at the end of next month (prob the biggest three shows in the world) and no problems with an excuse for going to the gemstone halls
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Hi Phil,

As firescale is an oxide of copper, it can be prevented or much reduced, by painting on or dipping in flux, preferably slightly warming the metal first. If you are worried about toxicity, then there is nothing cheaper than a saturated solution of boric acid crystals in meths.
    However the container must be kept safely away from flames.

That said, as with other members above, I can't be bothered except prior to annealing sheet metal. Firescale can be removed quite efficiently with green Scotchbrite wheels used dry, but hardly shows in any case if you opt for a satin finish or a busy texture.

My composite picture shows the Scotchbrite wheels for flex shaft and lathe. The green ones are the coarser.

I'd love a try at the Jooltool, mentioned by Carole, but don't really have the volume of work to justify it.

Welcome to the Forum, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finishing Tools.jpg  

Welcome to the forum, Phil. I'll just jump in to second Joopy Gems as a stone supplier.

Also, shes got a 15% coupon listed somewhere on her site (can't remember where) for first time shoppers as well if you want to have a test run. She does carry tourmaline cabs.
    - Emily

If I use anything it will be Argotect. To make it safer, mix with water and a little washing up liquid in place of meths. Welcome, what part of France are you located? Les.
    Poor old Les

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Phil
    Hope you find a 30 year old

I tend to use Marcia Lanyon for stones. If they don't have it on your website then they are really helpful and may have them in stock anyway.

I've always just polished out my firestain which is probably why I still like tripoli and rouge
    --------------------

Thanks for the info. I have dealt with Marcia Lanyon befroe.

I have looked at you website - I quite like some of the stuff by Caroline John.

Cheers.
    Phil

Hi Dennis,

Many thanks for your in-depth reply to my posting.

Great info and I will check it all out.

Phil

Hi Emily,

Many thanks for the info. I have just looked on the Joopy Gems site and everything is in US Dollars. Do they have a conversion chart from USD of GBP? - is it safe ordering from them and how long do things tend to take from Hong Kong?.

I have bought from China before without any problems, but Hong Kong yet.

Cheers
    Phil philongold@gmail.com

Hi Les,

Thanks for the info re Argotect.

I live in Central Brittany, just outside Pontivy, but I am British. Do you know this part of France?

Phil