Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workshop/ demonstration experiences please

Anna, I have attended the same jewellery class for twenty years, with people coming and going and accidents are rare.

But I have seen a mini-torch flare. The student threw it on the floor and everyone just stood around and stared. They need to be put out as quickly as possible, preferably with a fire blanket.

Another problem has been people burning their fingers on soldering bricks, recently vacated by someone else and then trying to blame them.

So yes you do need eyes in the back of your head and ears for that matter. Dennis.

Gosh Dennis that must be a record. I suppose London has its own rules, down here you are lucky if the class lasts the "one evening a week" for the whole 10 weeks. The one and only course I attended was at Exeter College and was one evening a week for 10 weeks, it started with about 20 students, at the end there were only about 5 left. I have learned quite a lot from you guys, and of course YouTube, but I think if you have a practical mindset you can work out how things should be done. The biggest problem is to make a piece of jewellery look as you envisaged, then make other people want it.

I've done a few one-to-one workshops, one with 5 x 10 year olds - and 4 times a year we have open studios & a market. We do have-a-go events at these and I do simple hammered silver wire rings with people (over 10 - shatter your thumbs), it's a cheap gig - £10 a ring - but they are very quick and a lovely way for folk just popping in to have a try at soldering/forming and help us do a bit of community bonding. My thumbs are usually mashed flat by the end of the day though ;-)
    My insurance covers me for teaching workshops & £5 million personal & public liability. I've been asked to do some further afield, but am uhming and ahing over lugging gear (I don't drive).

I might very well fall into the raving lunatic category. Thanks for all the replies, very helpful and certainly needs thinking about. I'll let you know what happens.

Learn to drive girlie, it will open up your world.

I only teach one to one, in my studio - I always need a tool which is somewhere else, even when I think I have everything prepared for the lesson. I find it exhausting, and only do 2 hour sessions at a time. I am stopping now, as its too time consuming and does not pay enough.

I start with the basics, soldering, piercing, and we can normally make a simple silver ring in that time, beaten finish or stamped with a pattern. Its very rewarding for the student to finish something in one session. I polish it for them before they leave if it needs it. I send them all a detailed list of what they should be aware of, some safety rules, and what to wear. You might think its obvious, but I have had people turn up in smart shoes and long hair!