Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition January 2015 - Happiness

Thanks for that James, appreciated.

Can they be pre-bought like this or does your engine turner friend put the grooves in?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post

Can they be pre-bought like this or does your engine turner friend put the grooves in?

Nick
    They are sold this way Nick, I cannot say who stocks them these days as I bought my stock when in Basel at the Baselworld trade fair.

Here is another photo of the ring to give an idea of it's size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	209 Hilary's ring.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	7247

James

Nick
    Nick, I just had a look online and they are sold as Shading Tools these days, see; https://www.hswalsh.com/product/shading-tool-tg671 and http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-997-AJD

James

Brilliant. I'll take a look after work James, thank you.

Nick

By the way James, closeup of the ring shows it in better detail. Very neat looking claw setting too, now that you need me to point that out!

Claw setting is something I need practice on in the near future. Has it been well received by your wife then, and did you start the settings from tube?

Nick

By the way James, closeup of the ring shows it in better detail. Very neat looking claw setting too, now that you need me to point that out!

Claw setting is something I need practice on in the near future. Has it been well received by your wife then, and did you start the settings from tube?

Nick
    Yes Nick, the claw settings are made from stock tube that I had and they are not tapered, I just filed in the claws with parallel round joint files. It was not a surprise present, as my wife had tried it on before it was finished to make sure it fitted perfectly as it is a design that would be trouble to resize.

James

That's a very special present.
    Could I ask, is the diamond an older kind of cut, i.e. not the kind of brilliant we're most used to seeing today? I ask this because the table looks quite high in the images you've shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    That's a very special present.
    Could I ask, is the diamond an older kind of cut, i.e. not the kind of brilliant we're most used to seeing today? I ask this because the table looks quite high in the images you've shown.
    Yes it's an old cut diamond.
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 19-01-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Just slightly outclassed here lol but as the theme is happiness I will post this anyway.
    Whalefest is coming up shortly and Im making pendants to be sold there with 50% of profits going to the Free Morgan Foundation.
    They have been campaigning tirelessly for the release of captive orcas and in particular Morgan who was tragically captured from the wild in 2010 and has been captive in an amusement park in Spain where she is bullied,attacked and harassed by the other orcas.
    I've portrayed her as being back in the ocean hence the happiness
    Sterling silver 32mm high with bezel set london blue topaz barnacle and several 1mm sky blue topaz in the 'water'.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freemorganpendant.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	7291
    Last edited by enigma; 27-01-2015 at 09:03 PM.

That's stunning Sarah, and what a good cause!!