Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gold plating equipment

my wedding ring and eternity rings are plated gold and it has mostly worn off now, but the gold underneath shows that one is 9ct and the other 18ct. I still prefer them gold, in my mind they looked cheap and nasty when plated although both have diamonds in.
    P.S I didnt buy them, hubby got them to go with the engagement ring, "V" shape so awkward.

Spa Plating in Bath offer the kit to do bath plating to vermeil thicknesses. Haven't found the COSSH sheet yet and they reckon it needs a heated magnetic stirrer.

Okay Carole

I have 3 A4 sheets which would be difficult to see on this page so I cropped a few sections which I hope are of use, the safety officer who gave them to me told a story of someone who wanted a pair of silver cufflinks gold plated (1 ) micron and was quoted £10.00

Carlton

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_060115_063406.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	7200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_060115_063218.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	7201
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Thanks for all the advice. I spoke to Spa Plating today and it all seems to be very complicated, what with calculating the surface area of the piece and also how much gold is present in the solution. I'm still mulling it over but I'm quickly going off the idea.

I see that Cooksongold sell a cyanide based silver plating solution, marked as hazardous, in the past I have purchased sodium cyanide but had to be a registered business and sign the poison book. Is this still required?

Apparently not, but you would have to register to order on line. Over the counter you could possibly give ficticious details.

That said we know who you are now, welcome to the forum. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, Perhaps it`s because of the small size of the solution; I used to buy sodium cyanide by the Kilo tub

Hello, glad this discussion is going on!

I have just purchased a gold plating kit from Spa Plating, it seems quite straight forward but I am concerned that I may not be capable of doing it, send it to the professionals anyway and still be left with the expensive kit.

My main issue is knowing how long the gold solution will last after gold plating to vermeil standard on my collection. Most professionals are very expensive and I just wonder if it's worth doing it myself from a labour = money stand point as well as purchasing gold solution over and over.

Millie