Thread: Made in Birmingham, Far East.

Default Made in Birmingham, Far East.

Cheap Far Eastern imports were not well received in the period between the wars, because they were in fierce competition with our home produced goods. It was even said that a jewellery centre out there had been re-named Birmingham, to infiltrate the market.

What led me to thinking about this, was that Christmas over, we are expecting a mini peak for St Valentine’s Day in February and that long ago there was a popular pendant, which was pierced with strange symbols. It rotated about its centre and when you flicked it sharply with a finger it would spin to reveal the words I LOVE YOU.

I can’t work out how it was done, but they were popular, inexpensive and probably made in Birmingham Far East. Dennis.

hahahaha!! I remember them...they were known as spinners! There were a range of them which when spun read out different things, like "good luck" and "happy days" !! They were circular discs about the size of an old 6d coin. A "wishbone" was attached at 3 oclock and 9 oclock and they spun "end over end" I don't remember the pierced ones, but I sold a lot of ones that were "engraved", so I guess even cheaper to produce (probably stamped out of sheet)

They are still being sold online Dennis, see; https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sp...dants&imgdii=_

James

One of my first jobs in the 70's was to solder charms on bracelets. We used to buy bags of 100 assorted charms and I had to sort them out spinners included.

That was a tedious job I'll bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    That was a tedious job I'll bet.
    I was so excited at 16 to be being paid (£22 a week) to do anything to do with jewellery that I didn't mind. I did get to do other exciting things as well, mainly cleaning castings for 6 months !