Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opening my new Etsy shop

I doubt anyone buying a ring for $28 expects much?
    Nothing wrong using swarowski name if the stone came from them..

I understand the situation for stone setting well, however you can't survive in europe working at Chinese prices..personally I charge the same regardless of material & if demand drops prices rise.
    You would need to set hundreds of stones per day otherwise, & It's not possible to do that to a high standard.

Obviously makes a huge difference wether working at a regular salary or self-employed..
    If you manage to set 100 stones a day nicely your a good days work, top notch work will be less than that..
    €0.35 x 100 = €35

Being self employed in northern europe requires that per hour on a very bad day.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 31-12-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Federico, I have no experience of the Nikon cameras you mention, I do use Nikon cameras and lenses, my current Nikons are a D70 and D7000 and I use Nikon lenses on them. The most important feature for taking jewellery photos is a close focusing lens.

Check out the Lumix FZ200 if you want a good reasonably priced camera.
    I took these photos using just daylight from a window so you can compare, one is with my £300 Lumix and one with my £1000 Nikon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	191 test shot Lumix FZ45.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	7168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190 test shot Nikon DSLR+Micro.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	7169

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 31-12-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Dear Chris,

She can't say the stone is swarowski since that size is not available in their catalogue, so the stone probably is not genuine swarowski. In addition to this, a stone like that would cost at least 10-12€, and setting will be 4-5€, so just 20€ for stones and setting. Then 2/3€ for silver, manifacturing at least 10/15 euros ?? (Waxes, creating the stone, melting the waxes) 3/4€ for rodhium bath ... Then takes, etsy 3,5% ... You can't say her price is right for what she claim the item is, she is probably selling a non silver and non swarowski ring, bought wholesale from chinese suppliers, that's my opinion.

I understand what you say and you are right, but you have to understand that you can work like that just in uk and not in valenza, if demand is low you can't raise the prices here. Probably you don't work in a crowded context, maybe you are the only stonesetter in your city, but when you live/work in a street where more than 100 stonesetters works you are in trouble. So when work is low, we look for the best price at the best quality. So competition is very high and 0,35€ is a fair price here for the ones that lost their jobs. And I assure you that quality is still top notch, and this stone setter works days and nights, setting 200/300 stones per day everyday. Imagine setting 250 stones per day everyday, at the end of the month you gain 2700€, which is an high salary for a stonesetter that lost his job nowadays. It's an hard work, but you have to work head if you want to compere. If he setted the stones for 1,30€, in silver, my items would be totally unbuyable.

Federico

200/300 per day at those prices happened as a young apprentice 20 odd years ago
    Obviously we have a different view of what "top notch" is... It's not do-able at that rate, only a fairly ok mass market quality.

I'm in Finland these days by the way & yes the situation is abit different.

I do have etsy shop and english is not my first language,but i keep listed my item and learning each day.
    You defo need to work your photos.I do used picmonkey for free online editing,get a light box in ebay that cost £10 then take your picture beside window.I'm using my s3 phone and happy with the result.
    Etsy is constant networking,join games i know silly but works,try to work out your title and tag.
    You got a good english better than me.
    About the pricing as long your earning then go ahead.
    Your work is stunning love the setting of your ring.
    Etsy is a good platform to sell your handmade don't hesitate to go ahead.
    They said 100 is the magic number (means list at least 100 or more item)for better chance of finding in search engine.
    Last thing join some group in facebook to promote and learn about etsy.

I kind of like it when selling pitch isn't in perfect english (though starfish is a better albeit less poetic search term than seastar).

As to everyone having to work like Chinese… yeah, well too true. I have friends in italy who are really creative and talented goldsmiths and they are barely scraping an existence and I'm always shocked to see experienced bench jewellers advertising in benchpeg willing to take £10ph.

Nothing to add about the etsy site other than said already about the photos. Also not sure if you could sell stuff in that style at those prices, but maybe if you can build the brand up… after all people buy Links of London and Pandora stuff.