Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 18ct gold bezel-soldering question

That's really lovely. Wish I'd thought to keep some of my daughter's horse's hair when he was put down - she'd have loved a piece of jewellery to remember him.

Thanks Carole

Its one of those things people either think of or don't . I never did until a friends horse that liveried with us sadly died and she asked me to cut some hair.
    I would say about 70% of my work is from horses that have passed though, often the owners have been storing the hair away for years.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    That's really lovely. Wish I'd thought to keep some of my daughter's horse's hair when he was put down - she'd have loved a piece of jewellery to remember him.
    same here. But then like Sarah says, we don't think of it. An inlay of mine died a while back after a shortish (four months) but brutal illness and I kept wondering whether to ask his wife and daughter if they wanted to get his fingerprints so I could make them a keepsake. It never seemed the right time.

Sarah, the hair is so smooth, do you fix it with resin or something?

Hi Medusa

Not normally, its just braided, in this case with wire woven into the braid, then slotted into the ends and glued in place with epoxy.
    I occasionally resin coat if people are concerned about snagging the hairs but it does change the appearance of the braid so tend to offer it if needed rather than doing it as standard.

Just working on three 3mm hearts all set in rose gold bezels today, its soooo tricky!

amazing. I wish my gal had got some of her boy's hair before he died. She would love something like that. I'll make sure if she ever gets another horse she does that.

Good luck with the bezels.

Those are fabulous! Beautiful work - you should be very pleased with yourself indeed!!

Lucky customer!

What a splendid collection Sarah and I see that someone has been working on the lighting for your pictures too. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 06-01-2015 at 05:21 PM.