Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget tools

Default Budget tools

This is how I made my budget tumbler tumble reliably.

You bought a cheap tumbler that wasn't up to the task and made the casing. I reckon you'd be within your rights to return a tumbler that doesn't tumble as the item would be significantly not as described or might be better described as a fumbler . But then, if you're happy you have a workable outcome and its cheaper than returning the thing / buying one that does work properly then fair-do.

A cheap, reliable tumbler is on my radar - maybe to task my eldest kid to build one when he gets a science project.

Im curious to know why it didn't it tumble before? I've got the same one I think and it works fine for me so far 😊 apart from I have to turn it on first then pop the barrel on otherwise the one roller doesn't turn other than that it works great

The problems were due to lack of grip on the lids by the drive roller. If it slips on both sides the barrel stops turning or turns with stops and starts. If it slips on one side only the barrel tends to be thrown off the machine. The same happens if the barrel moves too far to the ends.
    The fusing tape on the barrel between the lids now give a larger area to ensure proper grip by the drive roller and the wooden frame keeps the barrel centred and on the machine no matter what. I can now start the machine and go do something else knowing it will run without problems. My assumption is that more expensive tumblers will have these problems designed out.

Frans

[QUOTE=Vanessa;74910] ... I have to turn it on first then pop the barrel on [QUOTE] I knew I was doing something wrong !! (sorry Vanessa, couldn't resist!)

FJ&A - did you consider that your tumbler might be light of load and that some greater weight would increase the friction between the barrel and the rollers and thereby help it to tumble better

Tried making it heavier, tried making it lighter but it kept tumbling to the floor or just stopped turning wearing a groove in the drive roller. It now works perfectly.

It's an interesting solution, but it might hasten the end of that little machine.

The way it looks from the photograph, the barrel should only be 9.00cm long, the shot would weigh about 500g and the water just sufficient to cover your work.

These machines start slowly and gather speed in a minute or two. If the barrel still slips the drive rod or the lids of the barrel are wet or greasy. It is normal for the machine to run warm, but not too hot to hold. The bearings need a little oil from time to time. Dennis.

I do have this machine works for me,what i done on the machine run it for couple of minutes before putting the barrel inn,as Dennis said oil as well.Cookson got a new lip cover lid which is much better than the old one.I finding it having a good grip with wider lip.

Ahh well... There you have it. I thought others may have the same problem and that is why I posted the photo. I guess I did something wrong but, be that as it may, my machine now works the way I think it should. Very interesting to get other people's opinion and experience though.

Frans

That blue lid is rubbish,used it for couple of times then leaking and broke.Try to buy the new stock in cookson much better than the ligther blue lid.