Thread: Letter D

Default Letter D

I still can't engrave well enough for the curved band on a ring so figured out a way round it
    Rose gold wire shaped into a 'D' with 3 champagne diamonds, along with the obligatory horsehair braid of course.
    Im still struggling with photographing the curved bands with stones in, finding it very tricky to get the light to catch the stone without the reflections making the band look odd so any tips much appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dancerring.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	7128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dancerring2.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	7129

I love love love that! Apart from the letter D obviously as that has no relation to my name

Ironically I've just done a letter 'V' but you can't see it yet in case santa's spies are in...
    Last edited by Vos; 23-12-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Finding it very tricky to get the light to catch the stone without the reflections making the band look odd so any tips much appreciated.
    Splendid ring, Sarah. About the photography, I think we all have problems with that. However a 40cm light cube, if you don't already have one, is very cheap and helps to disperse the light.

After that its about twenty shots at all different angles, so that you can choose the most favourable one. Dennis.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dpower-Photo.../dp/B00M0G6JVQ

Thanks so much Vos, I didn't know there was a D in Vos though LOL

Thanks Dennis, I bought a cube after reading previous threads on here ( such a great resource you guys are!) so now I think Im at the 20 different angles stage to try and get the light to pick up the stones, tricky stuff jewellery photography! horses are easier and they don't even stand still lol

Great ring Sarah, I too like it a lot!

If you don't mind me asking, how do you achieve the recess on the shank of your rings?

Nick

Thanks very much Nick!
    In answer to your question, I cheat lol
    My husband does them on his milling machine for me which saves me a lot of work.
    I used to cast them and have also cut them with a burr before which both work but this way does save a lot of time and give a high degree of accuracy.
    I still do the curved ones by hand but straight lines are much easier on the machine.

Thanks for that Sarah, and it makes sense now although I wouldnt call it cheating really!

Its just another method of manufacturing the rings, and as you say it'll offer a higher degree of accuracy as opposed to doing it by hand.

Nick