Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bird pendants

Default My bird pendants

Hello
    If you have seen my other threads you may know I've been working on two bird pendants for Xmas gifts... And here they are! Not the best pics I know...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20141222_001.jpg   WP_20141222_21_36_26_Pro.jpg   WP_20141222_002.jpg  

Oh how did that happen... That's a pic of me in the middle covered in rouge! Ha ha ... Santa's cheeky elves at work me thinks

Great pics, specially the one of you. Maybe you should try something different like Menzerna maybe!

Ha ha thanks... I used fabulustre at first but it left a funny haze on the silver so I used rouge and yep lovely and shiny finish but has side effects! Ha ha. Might look at menserna is it as good as rouge then? At uni we use hyfin which is good.

I like the birds-- and the picture of Cinderella.

That said, I think some kind of hand made chain, however simple would lift your work no end. Regards, Dennis.

Yeah I thought so too Dennis agreed but sadly I left this too late to do but nothing can stop me from working on this after Xmas! 😊 I want to have a play with making my own chain and I need a torch that wont melt the entire chain except the link I am trying to solder... I can solder chain with the microweld at uni but cant afford one of those at home.... Wonder if I get a pencil flame attachment 'thing' for the seivert..

They look great Vanessa and I like the stylised birds and bark texture. Agree with Dennis too.

You don't need anything expensive to solder a fine chain.

I use a 'Dremel Versatip' for soldering very fine links and it works perfectly. The Sievert is overkill unless it's a very large piece!

Cheers,

Nick

Ps. The Dremel only costs £30-35!

Nick

For me, I like the horizontal bark on the second piece. If I were to approach these I might consider using two jump rings soldered on as bales rather than drilling, but that is purely a personal preference and in no way a criticism. They're quite sweet.

Oh- and I trust they're not your piercing saws behind you - you might want to update them if they are

Vos
    Last edited by Vos; 23-12-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    All the gear and no idea

Ha ha Vos I'd be dangerous with those blades ha ha! I appreciate your comments I'm always learning.

Thanks Nick I'll look into the dremel.

I tried to solder the links to the back but kept melting them! I then decided on what you see and attached a chain and soldered a link closed and thought it was successful until I polished it and noticed the chain had melted sigh so had to go with what you see... I've not soldered the links closed so it gives me room to make chain and attach it after xmas to these birds 😊 I can get a small flame on the seivert but it's not fine enough for soldering chain. Thanks