Thread: Tumbler query

Default Tumbler query

Hello

I've spent the day making two necklaces and soldered on a chain (successful with one not the other sigh tomorrow I have to buy more chain) but can I put them in the tumbler? I have a little one with steel shot. The necklace is 0.9mm thick sterling silver on a bar that is 3x2 (pre hammering size) ... Will I damage the birds if I put them in the tumbler with the chain attached... I cant remove the chain. Photos to follow so you can see...

Most things are OK in the tumbler, apart from the the needle marks you get on flat surfaces. If the chain is new, take it off because without precautions it can get into a tangle. Dennis.

Ah I cant remove the chain I soldered it to the pendant! I'll hand polish slowly... Thanks Dennis.
    Cant get my phone to upload pics.

this morning i was able to look up our Wallace's reply to this:

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...=chain+tumbler

As you see she closes her chain and threads it with fine wire. Tying it at intervals with heavy thread would probably work too. dennis.

Unless it's a very fine chain, I have no problems with putting it in the tumbler. I put a gold belcher in this morning and it came out with very little knotting and was easily untangled.

Fantastic... I'll do that next time - I've hand polished them now. You guys are so good I really appreciate your help and advice 😊 hopefully one day I will have enough experience to offer others advice too ... And I look forward to that day ha ha 😃

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    this morning i was able to look up our Wallace's reply to this:

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...=chain+tumbler

As you see she closes her chain and threads it with fine wire. Tying it at intervals with heavy thread would probably work too. dennis.
    Alternatively cut a sheet of plastic from eg a cylindrical bottle and having fastened the chain, loop it around the plastic cylinder a few times so that it is under gentle tension, then tumble the whole thing.

I done tumbler with my chain no problem at all,apart from tangled everywhere and took ages for me to sort out lol.

Thanks everyone what fab advice 😊