Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Work in Progress. Experiments in Rivets

Default Work in Progress. Experiments in Rivets

Ever the one to give myself ridiculous challenges I decided to mount this almost egg shaped rutile quartz. Having never riveted before I thought I'd share a few pics in case it all goes pete tong tomorrow. It's also my first time working with tube which i have to say got some eff's and jeff's trying to balance tube in an engineers square to cut, giving up and filing square by eye. (That's a mitre jig on the shopping list).

Anyway, following my love of constructed/mechanical stuff I threw this design together on the hoof. I had seen this way of trapping a stone and wanted to have a go myself. This is what developed. Just two rivets and remake that bale and it's good to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2014121820787.jpg   IMG_2014121842738.jpg   IMG_2014121857969.jpg   IMG_201412181636.jpg   IMG_2014121834150.jpg  

All the gear and no idea

That's looking great Vos, looking forward to seeing the finished piece. I love rivets, have been using them a lot recently

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    looking forward to seeing the finished piece.
    Me too!
    All the gear and no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Vos View Post
    Me too!
    It'll be fine beautiful rutile Quartz too always mean to buy one but have got into very large bits of labradorite

I do quite like the look of labradorite but my local 'gem' store (crystal shop) doesn't have the best selection.
    All the gear and no idea

I have bought some beauts from Marcia Lanyon, you can see them on my FB page, the colours are extraordinary

Watching with interest Vos.

The cheaper 'Joint Filing Tool' is something you can actually make yourself. James Miller has shown his made as an apprentice, I think. The main problems are that the screw tends to mark tubing, and the blade tends to twist for lack of a slot. http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...omSuggest=true

The 'Special Joint Filing Tool' is probably what most of us have. It is quite versatile, because you can file square against the end too. To get the best result when cutting, find a saw blade that fits the slot as snugly as possible.

The 'Mitre Cutter Jig' is an added luxury for filing the ends of tube, wire or strip and for holding tube when preparing it for stone setting. But is not as good for just cutting, because the blade will twist out of true as in the first example.

The mitre function is OK-ish, but mostly it is easier to mark intervals with dividers and file or score the mitre, but not all the way through, starting with a saw cut.
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-169A

Regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 19-12-2014 at 02:33 AM.

I did the same sort of thing, flying by the seat of my pants so to speak. A cousin wanted to keep a coin as a special memory from her dad who passed away years ago and asked for a locket type of thing but didnt want it enclosed, wanted to be able to see it. This is what I came up with

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131212_144026_Android.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	7119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131212_144208_Android.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	7120

Hi Jos! I think that setting is very elegant! This may be a hopelessly amateur question but what is the sheet with all the holes in?
    Sam

Caroline, you weren't kidding, those stones look stunning. And thank you for the heads up on Marcia. Hadn't heard of her/them, you've just spent money I haven't got

Dennis, thank you as ever. I'll read that with interest when I get chance later. I certainly need some form of jig as the first rivet tried desperately to go skew as I hammered. It appears the most minute degree out of square can cause failure with this kind of design.

Pat that is a novel design. Does the coin hinge or is it held in with tension (sorry only viewing on phone screen).

And Sammyjean, no such thing as an amatuerish question, just less experienced, and I qualify for both! Did you mean the soldering board? http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-972

Regards

Vos
    All the gear and no idea