Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Work in Progress. Experiments in Rivets

Marcia don't have stones like that on their website you have to ask or pay them a visit. I was surprised at how little they cost this year when they were up on their Scottish College trip but then maybe not many want the whoppers that I do!

AE Ward have some and as you see they are not very dear. However it is best to choose them personally, or ask for very colourful ones, as they can vary greatly. also mention if you want a good colour match:

http://www.wardgemstones.com/buy-labradorite.html.

Here's a sad story for you on that topic:

Some eighteen years ago when I was new to it and (more) ignorant, I went to Inhorgenta, a gigantic annual show in Munich. Towards the end of my visit, I found some round labradorites I quite liked and was asked 95 Euro for them.

Well, I had run out of cash for the second time, and no one there would take cards, so I had to trek back to an ATM three buildings away. Finally I returned with a hundred Euro, got my stones and then the man turned his back and ignored me. I had to persevere to get my change.

When I got home I realised that I had been completely ripped off and the price in UK would have been only about £20.

Moral: shop around before you buy gemstones, or be taken for an idiot. Dennis.

Love the design Vos, excited to see how it turns out!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    - Emily

It was all going so well until...

My concentration went and instead of realising and taking a break, I carried on, making a stupid stupid STUPID mistake and it all went downhill from there. Ended up losing patience, creasing the top plate and generally butchering it.

For your mirth and merriment spot the mistake...

I'm off to cry in a very large one

Vos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_201412195148.jpg  
    All the gear and no idea

O no!!! Vos!

I can't see any creases anywhere but I'm not looking at it very big. Stupid mistakes are the worst type to make because you know that you know better! Chalk it up to learning.. Are dimensions exact enough that you can swing the bail around to connect to the other corner and rivet in a slightly larger tube where the original other side of the bail was supposed to go? All may not be lost...

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    - Emily

Thanks peeps, I'm chalking it up to experience (or running before you can walk).

It's not all a loss. I've learnt loads, and will definitely try again. I now know I can rivet, but if using tube spacers they HAVE to be exact.I also take comfort in the fact my rivets were so solid they were inseparable. So that's a positive.

I'm not giving up, and will definitely re-try with possibly thicker plate although that will take the delicacy away (maybe 0.5 was pushing it). It will be remade though, it's just at the moment I have three days left to complete the family chrimbo presents!

So many lessons learned...
    All the gear and no idea

Hi Vos, the coin is in a bezel not fixed permanently, the bottom is riveted but I added a tube set cubic zirconia on top of the rivet to add sparkle especially as its for a woman. I couldnt think how to close it so the coin didnt fall out, so added a long oval jumpring, so that when the jumpring is horizontal the coin can get out as it can swivel on the rivet, and when vertical the narrow end of the jumpring holds it shut. My first thought was to put a hinge at the bottom but couldnt think how to catch it at the top, and this works and the customer was delighted.

If its any consolation, I frequently mush things up. Normally by overheating, I only started about four years ago, and as you know I have only one eye, so positioning things is an issue with me, looks straight until its soldered and when I look at it later its to one side so I have to either scrap it or unsolder it. I have a jam jar full of things started and either partially melted or earposts etc not in the middle, but they get used for something. I am getting quite good at utilising scrap!!!!!!

Doh!

Silly mistakes are the worst. I use a Dremel Versaflame which is great most of the time, but can be too strong when it has just been refilled making it so easy to overheat items and cause general collapse of small items in soldering. So whilst I know the problem, how is it that I do the same every other time?!