Thread: Hi, from USA (California)

Default Hi, from USA (California)

Hello!

I'm glad to find this site. I started making jewelry about five years ago, progressing gradually from creating bead strands to metalsmithing. Presently I'm about to take a class in foldforming, which I've done myself for about a year. I started jewelry work vowing that I'd never have any metal in my designs. I had an image of metal as hard, mechanical, aggressive. That ended when I discovered fold-forming, and also the colors that could be produced with heat on metal, as well as patina. Next year I'll be using a corrugator, and also an anticlastic spike to enhance my jewelry.
    I've sold pieces from the beginning, mostly at an annual art show at a local college, also on Etsy. I love the idea that my work adds to a person's life and that they take it away to keep. I don't like when they literally take it, though. I've had a few pieces stolen at shows, a compliment I could do without.
    In January I'm taking a foldforming class from a master jeweler. I've taken classes from him before, despite the fact that they were so advanced I could hardly produce anything. What I did learn from him and the other students, as well as the general tone of the class, is worth it.
    The big fly in the ointment at this point is a fear of torches. I'm struggling to get over it, but it's stubborn. The idea of thousands of degrees of heat in my hand scares me. My first experience with a torch was one that was torture to operate, hard and balky, followed by a floppy acetylene torch which did not go where I aimed. I now have a little pencil torch which I will start with, progressing (maybe) if I feel comfortable. I know I can not use glue forever! I want to set stones, and gluing a gemstone is unthinkable.
    That's about it...glad to be here.
    Last edited by BarbL; 18-12-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi BarbL, welcome to the forum. Most are barely coming up for air with Christmas orders so it's quiet on here.
    I'm quite a fan of fold forming too and either make pieces wholly foldformed or add little accents to a piece with a tuck or fold. Will be interested to see how your course goes.
    I hope you manage to overcome your torch fear, once you get going it can change your working life completely and open you up to all sorts of creations. Most of the time I love building structures with sheet and soldering and then there are the days that the solder gremlin comes to visit and the air is blue and the sweat flows
    Look forward to seeing your work once you're allowed to post pics

Hi Barbi and a very big welcome from me in Cornwall. We have quite an association with California as a lot of Cornish miners went there during the gold rush.

Hi BarbL and welcome from me too.

Hi Barb and welcome. Funny to think of things we've avowed never do.. As someone who's just learning I understand a hesitation with torches, but as long as you observe common sense safety they really aren't that scary .

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    - Emily

Hi Barb

Welcome to the forum, I've taught a few students who had a fear of the torch and I'm talking shakes and sweats,
    and i'm glad to say it took 3 or 4 days to get over, it's not easy but if you see and know what to do when things go wrong
    you're half way there.
    Practice with your small flame gradually going larger,
    Good Luck

Carlton

Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Hi BarbL !!