Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to set Baguette Facet stones

Default how to set Baguette Facet stones

Hello again, philongold here again.

I have just bought 5 Baguette cut, facet Tourmalines but am not sure how to set them.

I have a couple of designs in my head for a rings, and I sort-of-know what I would like to do with one of the stones at least - but I don't know the best way to achieve this.

I would like to set the stone down into the metal (I think I will do it in silver to start with) and either do a standard 'Bezel' setting, which I can do easily - or what I would like to have a go at is, something like a gypsy setting, I have also hear this type of setting called a 'rub-over' setting - this is the type of setting I don't really know to do! (although I have heard bezel settings called rub over setting by some).

I can do a gypsy setting using a round stone - that's quite easy because nearly all the work is done using burs. BUT - I recon a rectangular stone is a different thing all together. If I use a bur to cut the hole out for the stone and make one little slip - all my work could be wrecked!

Has anyone got any ideas? OR -maybe I should send the finished ring to a setter and have to done properly - can anyone recommend a good setter?

Cheers everyone.

Phil (philongold@gmail.com)

You've seen this?
    Depends on the size of the stones as to whether it's achievable. Channel setting with the long axis of the stone running radially might work.

If you want to flush set fancy stones, the setting will have to be carved with scorpers. Scribe layout lines on the surface, drill what you can and carve a tapered hole progressively, checking fit as you go.

Gypsy set baquette tourmalines sounds like trouble.
    Bezel,gypsy,channel are all basically rubover setting, there are after all only 3 main types the others being claw & bead (grain).

Your best bet is to pierce out your rectangles given your past skills..then just cut a bearing for the girdle & drill your corners abit till it fits snug & burnish carefully...or make a really low bezel for it.
    Bear in mind the curve if any as Peter pointed out, but I guess you probably know all that anyway.

You could consider a Roman setting, cut around your stone with a graver to form a wall to push over..
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 07-01-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmoto View Post
    John daniels is the best diamond setter I no, top quality work and reasonable prices Have a look
    Hmm. Both you and he have the same grasp of English, you've spammed pretty much the same text here on 3 posts and frankly I'm not amused.
    If you're going to actually contribute, fine - if all you're going to do is post adverts for yourself then your stay will be a short one.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 08-01-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Hmm. Both you and he have the same grasp of English, you've spammed pretty much the same text here on 3 posts and frankly I'm not amused.
    If you're going to actually contribute, fine - if all your going to do is post adverts for yourself then your stay will be a short one.
    I noticed that, there is a place for self promotion without pretending to be a customer of yourself.
    Shame, as your work looks quite neat :thumbup: just the text needs some help.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 08-01-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Firstly - MANY thanks to all that have answered my latest question. I didn't think I had any replies as nothing came to my email in-box. I must have forgotten to tick the right box.

Anyway - the stones are very small - around 4 mm x 2 mm.

No I can't cast as I have no casting stuff and I have only ever done a bit of casting ever.

ps_bond - a looked at the CAD you put up. VERY skillful I must say. If I had round stones it would be a lot easier -I just saw these tourmalines and the price was good (I thought) so I bought them.

I think in the end I have only a few choices - 1. cut out an area for the stone to sit in with a drill. gravers or scorpers as Gemsetterchris said or 2. Make a tiny bezel an solder it in place making sure I have cut out enough space for the stone.

Or maybe, I should just send it to gemsetterchris lol.

Cheers guys and keep the info flooding in.

Quote Originally Posted by philongold View Post
    Or maybe, I should just send it to gemsetterchris lol.

! Ha ha.

I may get told off for this as its probably frowned upon by the professionals but if I wanted to flush set a stone that wasn't round I would use a wire bezel after cutting out for it to cover any imperfections in the edges
    Of course if you are able to make the cut absolutely perfect then you wouldn't need to but personally I really struggled doing one for an oval and the wire surround neatens things up whilst still keeping a low profile which is what a lot of my customers want as the stone is less vulnerable when they are playing with their horses lol.
    I use 0.7mm wire.
    This is one I did Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woodlandbangle.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	7210

There are a lot of things that are do-able, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are good idea...especially rings..fancy as some look, they are asking for trouble.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 08-01-2015 at 10:36 AM.