Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Save your cash

Default Save your cash

Okay I have my xmas cash in my pocket I want to buy lots of tools and bits for my workshop where do I begin?

Sawframe ... Basically you can purchase a decent one for less than £10 this saves you £40 by not purchasing a concept saw.

Needle Files ..... Packet or individual, personally my most used are as follows: half-round which is actually two files in one, one flat side
    and one H/R (£'s in pocket),

A rat tail (tube like tapering to a point) ideal for making grooves.

A Barrette (looks like a squashed pyramid) triangular it's smooth on the top cuts only on the bottom.

I don't need a flat file because I already have one on two of the three above.

My top file that I use for fun is my 6 inch knife edge with a "0" cut , I could write a book on this file alone !!
    Top Jewellery tool shop in Brum JQ told me it was an engineers file and they didn't sell them, I told them it was
    a Jewellers file because I used them and they should (Arrogant I know) !! Most files can create tank tracks in your work,
    it all depends on the angle they take as it crosses your piece.
    As these files wear down the zero cut turns into a 1 then a 2

Ahhhh ! Buff sticks, don't get me started !! Why does anyone buy those stupid little flat pieces of wood with a government
    helping of emery paper attached !!! (No offence meant) Get yourself down to the timber yard and pick some up for free
    then pop down to B & Q and pick up some emery cloth (last longer than paper) I never go down in grades, my buff stick has
    8 sides and is 12 inches long ×1"×1/2" so it has a top and bottom, the more I use it the more it wears down until you're practicly
    using it to polish.(So now I have different grades on the one stick). The emery cloth wraps around the stick several times
    with the ends taped down with masking tape.

The above is a very small selection in how I advise newbies (students) how they can save a few pennies and still get good results

The above is my opinion based on tried and tested experience, we all have our different ways this is what makes Jewellery so much fun.
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

You are a breath of fresh air
    Until I joined these forums I worked away with the basic tool kit I bought at college in 1976 and the upgrade and polishing motor I bought when I graduated in 1979. Add to that my dads tools, a machinist friend who left me his and a few adaptations of darning mushroom, rolling pin, iron base plate, etc and I managed. I did upgrade to a Dustmaster a few years ago because the dust was making me iller
    I have now bought so much equipment that makes life much easier but also makes you rookit! There's so little room in my workshop now that we've had to build a cabin in the garden as a clean workspace, which was cheaper than building an extension on the house !! The cost of creativity

Do keep going
    On my wish list are : rolling mill, graver max,some form of more powerful torch/gas set up than my Sievert on propane as I struggle with soldering the larger bangles, and PUK welder, do you have any tips for me or am I beyond help? LOL

Yup. Airgraver, not GraverMax

Oh I meant the graver smith, I think thats cheaper than the air graver?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Do keep going
    On my wish list are : rolling mill, graver max,some form of more powerful torch/gas set up than my Sievert on propane as I struggle with soldering the larger bangles, and PUK welder, do you have any tips for me or am I beyond help? LOL
    Ye gods.... how big are your bangles, I've had a Sievert for many moons with 3 different ends 3939 I use for nearly everything with the largest used for smelting my scrap bits of silver.

Ahhhh the PUK, I wonder if someone out there who owns one could let me know their strong points, (I already know the weak ones) and with my new found knowledge the £5000 machine collecting dust at work for the last 6 months could possibly be used (Orion 150i)

My sievert has been my only torch and I always feel I'm missing out when everyone goes on about little torches and oxycon!

Umm, 3mm thick by 10mm wide and usually about 220 long.
    I know Peter said he does casting with his Sievert but I really struggle to even solder the bangles

Peter has a PUK welder too ...

It sounds like you need to upgrade your nozel,

It'll be nice if Peter can advise on a few techniques to get the machine up and running

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Umm, 3mm thick by 10mm wide and usually about 220 long.
    I know Peter said he does casting with his Sievert but I really struggle to even solder the bangles
    The Sievert I've found to be adequate for almost everything - except platinum. That said, being able to dump more heat into even small pieces makes for faster soldering and less firestain.

Peter has a PUK welder too ...
    Not quite... I have a laser welder. Different beasts, although they both make small welds. PUKs and Orions are advanced TIG welders while the laser is more of a small death ray.