Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Before I go and screw this up...I thought I would pause to ask you

Default Before I go and screw this up...I thought I would pause to ask you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3966.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	7091Hi everyone!

It's my sisters b'day this weekend and I've been making her some little flower earrings today.

I've made good progress so far but just as I was about to pick up my torch to start soldering, I had that moment where I thought to myself "Eve, this is where it could all go wrong, do you really know how to approach this? Will you end up melting the earring posts in the process?"

I'm so very grateful for a bit of internal dialogue at these crucial moments!

Anyway, before I go and make a mess of this, I thought I would drop you all a note to ask your guidance on how to solder the flower to the post without melting the posts? I'm still very new to silver making and having had one or two melting moments on other pieces, I want to try and get this one right first time.

My challenge is that I need to thread the post through the hole in the centre of the flower, add the solder, front or back I'm not sure.I thought maybe put the solder on the front inside the flower and draw it back onto the post but then that would be alot of heat near to the post. Would it be better sitting the solder round the back of the flower and heat from the front? These are small earrings (the flower is about 5mm wide, with 3mm studs) I'm just terrified of it turning into a big old blob!

I have attached a photo to show you.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3965.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	7090.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

For now, I think I shall have a break so I'm off out for a glass of wine with a good friend and plan to hit the soldering in the morning....maybe after a couple of coffees first!

Cheers! ;o)

Eve x
    Last edited by Eveness; 11-12-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Hi Eve,

Are you sure that the ball on the stud is solid?? If it hollow then it is likely to explode if heated as the trapped air inside warms and expands.....to avoid this you could drill a tiny hole somewhere that won't be seen once the stud is soldered into the surrounding part of the earring. If I was anxious about melting the post I would solder from the front, fluxing well, drop a small pallion of easy or extra-easy solder under the ball and a poly heat all over, if needed, just turning the earring as soon as the solder flows, then briefly reapply the heat on the back to draw the solder through.

Enjoy your wine tonight and hope the soldering goes well in the morning!!
    Tabby x

I think that's good advice from Tabby. I too was wondering whether the ball was hollow.

When I make similar earrings, I ball up the end of the wire, push it through a hole that just fits. I then use locking tweezers to hold the posts with the flowers facing down and solder from the back. The locking tweezers serve to take some of the heat and thus protect the posts.

Note all the above, plus:

Those studs are so tiny, that you won't need much heat to make the solder flow.

So make sure the air hole in your torch is slightly closed to give a more bushy lame, and work in semi darkness, so that you can see when a part gets too red and quickly move the flame. Dennis.

Eve, those flowers are lovely!

Had Caroleallen not given a better method I would have just balled some silver and attached a straight post to the back, but then I'm a complete novice too. Either way, I hope it works out as they're quite fab (I've not been brave enough to try flowers yet).

Regards

Vos
    Last edited by Vos; 12-12-2014 at 01:01 AM. Reason: adhd and lovin it
    All the gear and no idea

Hi Tabby, that is a very good question...I rang Cooksons to ask and they themselves didnt know! I think I shall drill that hole you suggested to see for myself and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Hi Eve,

Are you sure that the ball on the stud is solid?? If it hollow then it is likely to explode if heated as the trapped air inside warms and expands.....to avoid this you could drill a tiny hole somewhere that won't be seen once the stud is soldered into the surrounding part of the earring. If I was anxious about melting the post I would solder from the front, fluxing well, drop a small pallion of easy or extra-easy solder under the ball and a poly heat all over, if needed, just turning the earring as soon as the solder flows, then briefly reapply the heat on the back to draw the solder through.

Enjoy your wine tonight and hope the soldering goes well in the morning!!
    Tabby x

Good advice on the locking tweezers! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I think that's good advice from Tabby. I too was wondering whether the ball was hollow.

When I make similar earrings, I ball up the end of the wire, push it through a hole that just fits. I then use locking tweezers to hold the posts with the flowers facing down and solder from the back. The locking tweezers serve to take some of the heat and thus protect the posts.

Cheers Dennis...much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Note all the above, plus:

Those studs are so tiny, that you won't need much heat to make the solder flow.

So make sure the air hole in your torch is slightly closed to give a more bushy lame, and work in semi darkness, so that you can see when a part gets too red and quickly move the flame. Dennis.

Thanks Vos, I feel I may have created more problems by using the ready made studs, but I guess its all a learning process! Good luck on your creative journey too!

Quote Originally Posted by Vos View Post
    Eve, those flowers are lovely!

Had Caroleallen not given a better method I would have just balled some silver and attached a straight post to the back, but then I'm a complete novice too. Either way, I hope it works out as they're quite fab (I've not been brave enough to try flowers yet).

Regards

Vos

Quote Originally Posted by Eveness View Post
    Hi Tabby, that is a very good question...I rang Cooksons to ask and they themselves didnt know! I think I shall drill that hole you suggested to see for myself and see.
    Yep balls are hollow...ive drilled a small hole in the back.

I'm going to attempt the soldering now! Argh!