Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intrigued

Love the hummingbird James! So technically clean/skilled yet whimsical! Those two don't always marry well.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    - Emily

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has come across other skills/techniques that are unusual or have fallen out of fashion over the years and may be in danger of disappearing all together Sue.
    For a while as a beginner, I had a craze for making Victorian name brooches. I don't think any one actually wore them, but they were good for little presents.
    The main challenge was to keep the balls in place for soldering, until I used one hole beads on tiny spikes. It was also good piercing practice.

Sorry the photos are scanned in from the days of film and not very good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Betty Brooch.jpg   Kate Brooch.jpg   Thea Brooch.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    Hi everyone, I have come across Victorian tremblant jewellery, it intrigued me and got me wondering if anyone still produces this type of jewellery today. Don't worry, I'm not about to have a go, I'm a beginner hobbyist grappling with the basics! However, I wondered if any of the expert jewellers out there ever do have a go at this or whether it is just one of those skills/techniques that has disappeared into the mists of time. Also, I was wondering if anyone has come across other skills/techniques that are unusual or have fallen out of fashion over the years and may be in danger of disappearing all together, or maybe you have just come across something out of the ordinary that you find appealing/intriguing.
    Sue.
    A fellow tremblant! I found this too, and it fascinates me. I'm just starting on my journey but I know I have a yearning to make jewellery that 'does something' or moves. It's certainly a direction I'd love to head in if ever my skills get good enough.

Sorry, I just had to reply when I saw tremblant.

I'll go now

Vos

*edit* here's one of my faves... http://youtu.be/ICsLrQc5s7g It's not just the accuracy of keeping the stone upright that is mindblowing, but the piece kind of makes the stone sing too.
    Last edited by Vos; 12-12-2014 at 01:40 AM.
    All the gear and no idea

Great idea to use beads on spikes Dennis, I think I'll bank that idea, you never know when it may come in handy. Vos, thanks for the link, that's interesting - a more modern design. Nice to know I'm not the only one blown away by tremblant jewellery. Anyone else found other interesting unusual techniques etc that you just don't see much any more ?