Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intrigued

Default Intrigued

Hi everyone, I have come across Victorian tremblant jewellery, it intrigued me and got me wondering if anyone still produces this type of jewellery today. Don't worry, I'm not about to have a go, I'm a beginner hobbyist grappling with the basics! However, I wondered if any of the expert jewellers out there ever do have a go at this or whether it is just one of those skills/techniques that has disappeared into the mists of time. Also, I was wondering if anyone has come across other skills/techniques that are unusual or have fallen out of fashion over the years and may be in danger of disappearing all together, or maybe you have just come across something out of the ordinary that you find appealing/intriguing.
    Sue.

I can't work out what it is. Is it what we would call pave set jewellery?

Hi Carole, it's jewellery that trembles, it was done by use of tiny springs I believe, so when the wearer moved, it trembled and the stones caught the light more, also, as it was used on jewellery based on flowers and insects it mimicked a 'natural' movement. Those ingenious Victorians! I just wondered if anyone had incorporated it into more contemporary designs, and then it got me wondering if anyone else had come across unusual techniques etc. Sue.

Joella, it's not jewellery, but I used a spring technique when I made my humming birds feeding on flowers, their beak had a spring wire through into the flower bloom so that the bird would tremble at a slightest movement, wiggling it's wings a bit.

Like I did on this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	064b- Humming bird signed.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	7089

James

James, That's stunning, so enchanting! God, I love this forum. Seeing your humming bird has just delighted me so much.

Your work is unreal James. Incredible!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    James, That's stunning, so enchanting! God, I love this forum. Seeing your humming bird has just delighted me so much.
    I take it you know that if you click on my profile you can see a small album of some of my work. Either click on my profile name Goldsmith or look here; http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/album.php?albumid=150

James

Wow James, I see your album now. What amazing work. Love the delicate little lily of the valley flowers.