Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today I taught myself...

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Vos you don't like easy tasks do you?!
    No, and so far this *®@%¡$™ star has been the hardest part of this piece. Three attempts in copper so far. Just cant get it even

I've put it down to an off day and cracked open a rum

Vos
    All the gear and no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Vos View Post
    No, and so far this *®@%¡$™ star has been the hardest part of this piece.
    You have my sympathy Vos, I remember doing similar & giving up. I have the patience of a gnat tho!

Mel

What is this patience you speak of?
    All the gear and no idea

Haha Vos!!

As a tip, if you are finding it difficult to saw pierce accurately, make sure that you keep outside of your line (keep as tight as you can to the line, but without crossing it), the more you do this, the more confident you will get and tighter to the line you will be able to saw. You can then tidy to the line by filing (checking every few strokes).

Thanks Tabby

I think I was trying to be clever by sawing round in one go (turning on the spot at the points). I shall try just coming in from the edge for each side, kinda give myself a good run-up

Vos
    All the gear and no idea

No, and so far this *®@%¡$™ star has been the hardest part of this piece. Three attempts in copper so far. Just cant get it even

I've put it down to an off day and cracked open a rum Vos
    Well Vos, try it this way instead. Do you have a snap off craft knife, or a craft knife with a new blade? Then:

1.Stick your pattern onto your metal with Pritt, or other water soluble glue and allow to dry, or use a hair dryer, or put it on the warm lid of your pickle pot.

2.As carefully as possible using a steel ruler as a guide, cut through all the lines with your craft blade. If the blade is blunt or snagged the paper will tear.

3. When you are sure you have marked all the lines, wash off the paper under the tap and you should have a perfectly scribed star.

4. Now with a fine saw blade, say 6/0 cut out the star, but leave all the scribed lines intact.

5. Finally with needle files, file exactly upto the lines, but do not remove them. The traces of scribed lines will help the illusion of perfection.

6. A little improvement to the reverse, which will still be a bit wanting, will also help. But when you turn it over, be sure to put temporary masking tape on your bench peg, because traces of grit will scratch the important front surface. Dennis.

What is this patience you speak of?
    Sorry, I shouldn't use words I don't understand! (As my chemistry teacher said when I, inexcusably I now see, called him Cretin instead of Mr Chamberlain. Next time I used it at him he repeated the adage, so I gave him the memorised definition from a medical dictionary. I got to call him Cretin for the next 5yrs! God, I was a horrid student.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well Vos, try it this way instead. Do you have a snap off craft knife, or a craft knife with a new blade? Then:

1.Stick your pattern onto your metal with Pritt, or other water soluble glue and allow to dry......... 6.
    Dennis, you sir are a genius! Thanks for that 😬

Mel

Great tutorial from Dennis !
    Yes Vos, I would definitely come out at the points and back in rather than trying to go around.

I have two 'not worthy's'...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    One of the regular jobs I get from my antique restoration clients is to replace missing gold inlays in tortoiseshell boxes, these inlays are as thin as paper and sticking the thin gold to a sheet of copper makes marking and piercing them out a much easier.

Boxes like this one I restored.
    Attachment 7084

James

James, that is exquisite. I am in total awe of your work

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

1.Stick your pattern onto your metal with Pritt, or other water soluble glue and allow to dry, or use a hair dryer, or put it on the warm lid of your pickle pot.

2.As carefully as possible using a steel ruler as a guide, cut through all the lines with your craft blade. If the blade is blunt or snagged the paper will tear.

3. When you are sure you have marked all the lines, wash off the paper under the tap and you should have a perfectly scribed star.

4. Now with a fine saw blade, say 6/0 cut out the star, but leave all the scribed lines intact.

5. Finally with needle files, file exactly upto the lines, but do not remove them. The traces of scribed lines will help the illusion of perfection.

6. A little improvement to the reverse, which will still be a bit wanting, will also help. But when you turn it over, be sure to put temporary masking tape on your bench peg, because traces of grit will scratch the important front surface. Dennis.

Dennis, you are just a gent at the time and patience you show with us beginners....

To you both
    All the gear and no idea

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Vos you don't like easy tasks do you?!
    great tip from James.

May I ask James, how would you set an inlay on tortoiseshell? as in how do you fix it?
    Sarah, I use various Loctite transparent glues, added to the jobs by means of the point of a needle.