Thread: Christmas

Default Christmas

This was my first christmas making/selling jewellery and I found it really stressful with so many items on a strict deadline!
    I also had to turn a lot away although quite a few have had 'being made ' cards or gift vouchers instead.
    I seem to have got things about right though as my last promised for christmas items were posted out on the 15th to the UK and the 8th to the US and AUS so all done, phew!
    Just wondering how everybody else copes with the christmas rush and how you work out your orders?
    I find it really hard to know exactly how long things will take if they are new designs so it was tricky setting a cut off date.
    I guess you guys are still working on christmas items now if they are for within the UK?

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Well I am a hobbyist but have had (for me) a Christmas rush, even getting orders today for delivery tomorrow (a simple pair of cufflinks). I have had to say no to a couple of orders because they were commission specials to the customer's specification and these ALWAYS take a lot longer than expected, because I absoluty insist that the customer agrees to a final detailed design before I start work - and they usually do not want to commit themselves ... But expect me to commit my time and money, learnt from early "mistakes" that this should be avoided at all costs.

I only take orders against a guaranteed completion date if I KNOW that I can complete it on time, otherwise it is "best effort", it is always better to under promise and overdeliver than over promise and under deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

We're still making. I've still got my elves in and they're really busy. I plan to be posting by special delivery right up to the last minute. I've also got local people popping in for stuff. It's been a busy Christmas but not manic as we were so well prepared with lots of stuff made in advance. I also didn't do any craft fairs, which was a huge help.

I shall have a few days off over Christmas and then back into the thick of it for the January sales.

Quote : it is always better to under promise and overdeliver than over promise and under deliver.

Definitely agree with that Barry, my last few orders were actually ones I had said I would try to get done for christmas but not promised.
    I should think people would be extremely upset to be let down at the last minute.

Lol at the elves Carole!
    Where do you run your January sales from? online or a physical shop?
    I shan't do any, I only make to order anyway and am booked all through Jan still but Im expecting Feb may be quieter after these orders are done as things are slowing down now.

The sale is on Notonthehighstreet Sarah. I did it for the first time last year, very reluctantly, but found it worked very well. It gives things that haven't sold well a boost, which means they rise up in the algorithms and so continue to sell well. It also means I get a lot of reviews, which is also good. What with the sale, valentine's day and mother's day, I don't expect things to settle down until May, which is good, as we're off on our hols then.