Thread: First Craft Sale

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Default First Craft Sale

I attended my first craft Fair on Saturday with my humble offerings of pendants, earrings, rings and a couple of bangles.

My wife had created the layout and it looked very professional. Anyway the net effect was we sold about 25 items which was a lot more than I expected and got 5 commissions - one of them quite substantial (at least for me).

Our technique was to stay IN FRONT of the stand (actually each exhibitor had a table - stand sounds a bit grand - it wasn't) and to just chat to people about generalities rather than trying to sell. Conversation soon gets round to how the items were made and which ones they liked and ultimately to a sale.

I was amazed how many exhibitors just sit behind the table reading a book and looking completely bored. The stand next to ours was one of these (selling cards and Christmas decorations) and they took the grand total of £20 - I don't know why they bothered to turn up. Their products were quite attractive and seasonal but they showed zero interest in their potential customers.

Learnt a lot, really enjoyed it and made a few quid - we will definitely do it again, but I must get back to the work cupboard (work shop is an overstatement) to get some of the commissions done for Christmas.

Did you hear about the two TV aerials who met on a roof? They fell in love and got married, the reception was briliiant.
    Last edited by BarryM; 09-12-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍