Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Craft Sale

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Default First Craft Sale

I attended my first craft Fair on Saturday with my humble offerings of pendants, earrings, rings and a couple of bangles.

My wife had created the layout and it looked very professional. Anyway the net effect was we sold about 25 items which was a lot more than I expected and got 5 commissions - one of them quite substantial (at least for me).

Our technique was to stay IN FRONT of the stand (actually each exhibitor had a table - stand sounds a bit grand - it wasn't) and to just chat to people about generalities rather than trying to sell. Conversation soon gets round to how the items were made and which ones they liked and ultimately to a sale.

I was amazed how many exhibitors just sit behind the table reading a book and looking completely bored. The stand next to ours was one of these (selling cards and Christmas decorations) and they took the grand total of £20 - I don't know why they bothered to turn up. Their products were quite attractive and seasonal but they showed zero interest in their potential customers.

Learnt a lot, really enjoyed it and made a few quid - we will definitely do it again, but I must get back to the work cupboard (work shop is an overstatement) to get some of the commissions done for Christmas.

Did you hear about the two TV aerials who met on a roof? They fell in love and got married, the reception was briliiant.
    Last edited by BarryM; 09-12-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Sounds really encouraging, and I agree you need to stand in front of your stand, not sit behind it looking bored and reading a book, as so many of these stall holders seem to do! I'm sure you didn't forget your dealers notice either

Interesting about the TV aerials - I heard that after getting their wires crossed they pulled the plug on the whole idea of getting married......

Had a xmas craft fair last Saturday and the result was overwhelming lol.I sold loads of my jewellery.I brought my commission in my stall, people so intrigued what i'm doing coz i'm wearing my messy gloves..he he.It was a good event and i made money.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    I attended my first craft Fair on Saturday with my humble offerings of pendants, earrings, rings and a couple of bangles.

My wife had created the layout and it looked very professional. Anyway the net effect was we sold about 25 items which was a lot more than I expected and got 5 commissions - one of them quite substantial (at least for me).

Well done Barry! Bet it was nerve wracking initially. It must feel amazing to get the first one under your belt (and positive feedback that you're doing something right ).

I'm way off doing fairs yet, but out of interest may I ask how many pieces you took?

Well done flowerpecker too.

Vos
    All the gear and no idea

Default First Craft Sale

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    Sounds really encouraging, and I agree you need to stand in front of your stand, not sit behind it looking bored and reading a book, as so many of these stall holders seem to do! I'm sure you didn't forget your dealers notice either

Interesting about the TV aerials - I heard that after getting their wires crossed they pulled the plug on the whole idea of getting married......
    Of course I had the dealers notice, after spending £170 to register my mark, i need to make it a sales benefit.

It was the two toasters who pulled the plug. The aerials have been married for 5 years and have two little antennae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BarryM; 09-12-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vos View Post
    I'm way off doing fairs yet, but out of interest may I ask how many pieces you took?

Vos
    We had about 40 on show and some "refills" boxed up behind the stand - total about 60.

Took just over £500 in 5 hours, not bad for a beginner. I have already spent half of it on a Foredom SR - my Dremel 4000 just doesn't have any "grunt" at low speeds.

Stand shown below:-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that looks amazing! Well done

Well done both. Your table looked really inviting Barry.

That said your fairs were at an ideal time with Christmas in view. Traditionally, you sell more gifts in the weeks before Christmas, than for the whole of the preceding year.

Dennis.

That's excellent Barry, and it's something on my to do list next year. Still building up stock at present, and as Dennis said your display table looks tremendous.

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk