Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rings and arthritic joints?

Default rings and arthritic joints?

Just wondered if any of you come across the problem of people with swollen/arthritic knuckles and ring sizing?
    I know you can get adjustable bands but I can't find any that I could incorporate a horsehair braid into which is what the customer wants.
    Ive also seen open rings but they always seem to be quite fine/slim and again I wouldn't think that would work with the 6mm by 2mm D shaped wire that I use?
    Any thoughts appreciated
    Thanks

I once read that knuckles are thinner from front to back, than they are wide-in other words they are oval. This should mean that you could make an oval shank, put it on sideways and straighten it once over the knuckle.

Have I tried it? well no, because I cant see any simple way to decide on the size of the oval.

I can only suggest a ring spring thing:

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...ghlight=Spring Regrds, Dennis.

Thanks very much Carole and Dennis

I had a look at some of the hinge type things but all seem to go half way up each side so wouldn't leave any room for the braid and stone that the customer wants.
    They have come back to me saying they are happy to just go with a bigger size anyway but I would still like to have something that I could use as its a common issue amongst horsey ladies.
    I may have to order one of those Dennis, thank you, although I suspect it may not work with the thicker rings.
    Nice ring BTW!

I've never done it myself, but does anyone solder in a little ball on the inside of the ring?

What does a little ball do Carole, stop it turning?

Hi Carole,
    I've had success in the past by soldering three small balls inside a shank at equal intervals. The ring is made at the largest (knuckle) measurement it needs to pass over, and the balls added to make the ring the smallest (ring size) it needs to be. It's one of those things where I don't really understand how it works - but it does!

That's clever.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

to add to the lot

I had a go at doing something along the lines of the oval, as Dennis mentions, but sort of a 'U' shape as shown in the picture. This was done at one size larger as a round then made into the 'U' shape. Worked okay for the person in question. I have done a few since, again, on size larger and then made the shape. But not enough to say it is definitive. However, it is solid enough for hair to go around. Maybe you could try sending a blank Copper sized one to a customer to see if it works.

Attachment 7075