Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking

Default Hallmarking

Hello folks! Just a quick question regarding hallmarking. I usually send my pieces off polished and more or less finished, however with christmas orders etc I'm in a bit of a rush to get things hallmarked and posted in time for Christmas! So my question is...will a laser mark fade or anything after being put through the barrell polisher?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question....but I normally have everything polished beforehand!!

Many thanks!!!

Karolina

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

they should be fine with a barrel polishing - I have tumbled several many years later and still fine. Buffing can take the mark off more than burnishing ever does.

Quote Originally Posted by KarolinaMoon View Post
    Hello folks! Just a quick question regarding hallmarking. I usually send my pieces off polished and more or less finished, however with christmas orders etc I'm in a bit of a rush to get things hallmarked and posted in time for Christmas! So my question is...will a laser mark fade or anything after being put through the barrell polisher?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question....but I normally have everything polished beforehand!!

Many thanks!!!

Karolina
    Hi Karolina

The old laser mark was really shallow but the latest mark is much deeper, I'm not a fan of either, originally they were designed for finished work
    but my problem is when jewels come back for renovation (after many years, masons #Lodges) I need to erase engraving and eradicating all scuffs,
    this usually means the hallmark will dissappear especially if they need a re-polish.
    You could contact the assay office and ask about their xmas turnaround.
    Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Willow View Post
    Hi Karolina

The old laser mark was really shallow but the latest mark is much deeper, I'm not a fan of either, originally they were designed for finished work
    but my problem is when jewels come back for renovation (after many years, masons #Lodges) I need to erase engraving and eradicating all scuffs,
    this usually means the hallmark will dissappear especially if they need a re-polish.
    You could contact the assay office and ask about their xmas turnaround.
    Carlton
    they are only deep if you request 3-D deep at the office I use. Otherwise they are still shallow. I have now a permanent request on my form for this deeper. I love the laser mark. Over polishing will take off any metal anyway, surely? I have lost a couple through over polishing, of standard stamps from another office I used years ago as they didn't stamp deep enough. The choice of either is still available.

London is taking 7 working days at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    they are only deep if you request 3-D deep at the office I use. Otherwise they are still shallow. I have now a permanent request on my form for this deeper. I love the laser mark. Over polishing will take off any metal anyway, surely? I have lost a couple through over polishing, of standard stamps from another office I used years ago as they didn't stamp deep enough. The choice of either is still available.

London is taking 7 working days at the moment.
    I'm with Edinburgh and they have told me it's currently a turnaround of 4 working days. But I need to get it all sent off tomorrow and then posted as soon as they arrive back. I never requested 3d laser mark....so the ones I get will be shallow I'm sure. Will this still be ok for barrel polishing?

the only way to find out, is to try it with something that is less of an issue if it happens. As I mentioned earlier, burnishing didn't affect ones I put in, even later on for a spruce up. But it might be worth being careful with a test run first, given you cannot sent it back. Or as Carlton points out a finished piece before it goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by KarolinaMoon View Post
    I'm with Edinburgh and they have told me it's currently a turnaround of 4 working days. But I need to get it all sent off tomorrow and then posted as soon as they arrive back. I never requested 3d laser mark....so the ones I get will be shallow I'm sure. Will this still be ok for barrel polishing?
    I'm with Edinburgh too, they are always really helpful and it's seems to be a good idea to book your work in during a busy time. I would give them a ring in the morning and see if you can amend the laser mark, I'm not sure if they do a deeper one.

I'm with Birmingham. Took some stuff in on Friday and was told 4 day turnaround too. It's great to be near enough to deliver and collect in person - certainly cuts down on the times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only ever use the lasering service if it's a piece that can't be stamped. I find even with things that are polished and finished, they still need a bit of work after they come back from hallmarking. You can do quite a lot of cleaning up after a normal stamp.

as others have mentioned..."3D deep" mark should be ok following barrel polishing, but as laser marks are really designed to go on after polishing they're not always as durable as a struck mark. However, depending on the article, we can cut the laser mark extremely deeply...it just means doing a load more passes! ATM we're on 4-5 working day turnround in London
    Last edited by SteveLAO; 08-12-2014 at 10:23 AM.