Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with clamp

Default Problem with clamp

Hi there,

I am no jewellery expert, and the very basic of beginners.

I can't upload a pic for some reason, but it is here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141208_181111new.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	7079

The bottom one is the original, the top the new one, you can see how its squashed.

I'm trying to match to a bracelet we aleady have that is broken, and is irreplacable, and there is no way to get another made.

we purchased some clamps, basically it is all the shop had, but they aren't like the ones on the existing design. On the existing one, you can see it looks the same shape all the way around, on the ones we bought, you can see it squashes and therefore expands in size, and looks a mess.

Any idea what these are called and where I can buy the correct ones that do not squash out?

Thanks
    Last edited by max_mischief; 08-12-2014 at 08:57 PM.

I'm afraid your request is all Greek at the moment,as we cannot view your picture. I believe new members need a certain number of posts first. Then 'go advanced' and use the paper-clip as when sending an attachment by email.

Alternatively you can send a picture as a URL from another website, such as Photobucket.

We will all be pleased to help when a picture is available. welcome, Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Sorry, Think i've got it now, I've added a photo.

Thanks

Hi Max,
    From the image you've posted (which is very helpful!!), I think that you are looking for lengths of silver tube and silver beads threaded onto a wire with bolt/jump ring findings at each end to secure??

Hope this is helpful.
    Tabby

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

the 'knot crimp' or 'tie' may have been added to work inside one of the balls as a hidden method with a very small crimp, maybe, possibly and hidden inside one of the balls. Or it has been double threaded to give a loop on one end?? Can you photo the other end too?

Totally misunderstood the post Wallace has it in hand!
    Last edited by CJ57; 08-12-2014 at 09:40 PM.

I thought it was the last bit of tubing that has been crimped on the top photo, compared to the bottom photo, which is still round and tubular????

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Max think this is what you are looking for
    http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...+lobster+cclaw
    Thanks, I will go and take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Hi Max,
    From the image you've posted (which is very helpful!!), I think that you are looking for lengths of silver tube and silver beads threaded onto a wire with bolt/jump ring findings at each end to secure??

Hope this is helpful.
    Tabby
    Well, the lengths of silver tube(seperate issue, don't seem real metal - different issue, more like a nylon, but I will be looking for silver metal ones going forward, but don't think thats the issue, hard to explain but I will try below.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    the 'knot crimp' or 'tie' may have been added to work inside one of the balls as a hidden method with a very small crimp, maybe, possibly and hidden inside one of the balls. Or it has been double threaded to give a loop on one end?? Can you photo the other end too?
    Sorry for the lack of explanation, i'm by no means a crafty person lol.

I can only explain, the existing one, the wire goes though the bead, through the spacer rectangle thing, then around the jump ring, then back on itself a bit, and appears to go back into the rectangle bit then ball bit. The crimp bit, appears to be a bit of metal that almost has 2 sections, and these are clamped down and don't move, but the metal that has been clamped down does NOT look distorted.

On the new one, they look like very cheap clamps, and are relatively small, see pic below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack-of-1500-silver-plated-brass-2mm-tube-crimp-beads-ha02525-7317-p[ekm]250x250[ekm].jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	7081

and as soon as you clamp them together with pliers, it becomes a wide square of metal which looks hideous.

you need some crimping pliers to make a good crimp, otherwise you end up with flat metal that doesn't hold the wires very well.

youtube video
    Last edited by Wallace; 08-12-2014 at 09:32 PM.