Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Enter The Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cripple in Heels View Post
    What a stunning piece of craftsmanship. I love unexpected textures, esp that which I get from a hammer my OH's Grandfather bought sometime b/n 1910-1920. Using letters is a great idea, so thanks for the tip!

Mel
    You're welcome Mel, you'd be surprised when you look around how many objects you can use for texturing

Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Really nice design there, looks fantastic!

Nick

Thanks Nick .... Carlton

What a beautiful cuff. Stunning!

That's drop dead gorgeous! Love the texture and the mix of copper and silver. Oh and the shine is just fabuulous.
    Jules

Thanks Vanessa and Jules for your kind words

Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Willow View Post
    I don't order too many at any one time because I find the longer you keep them the more
    brittle they become!
    Carlton
    But of course, being metal, they are micro-crystalline: perhaps we should be annealing our saw blades to increase longevity

Great dragon btw!! How will you preserve the high degree of polish you've achieved? I struggle when it comes to copper

"Metalsmith" Annealing saw blades, that's interesting, have you tried it ? What will happen to them ?

Copper is a nightmare to keep sparkly, come to think about it most metals are, I purchased this wonder stuff a few years
    back and I haven't really used it until I did the dragon cuff.......very expensive but it seems to work, just paint it on and leave to dry.

The cuff has been lying around for a month on my sideboard and it's still bright, below is a pic of the box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-12-26 09.55.35.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	7146
    Last edited by Moon Willow; 26-12-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Yes, Protectaclear comes up on the forum from time to time and is probably the coating of choice. However I am too mean to buy it as I don't do copper or brass often enough.

As for annealing saw blades, if you have bought a batch of blades and they keep breaking, you can make them more usable, by a quick flick with the mini-torch while in the frame, but not highly tensioned and then air cooling.

For silver, there is hardly any difference in sharpness or longevity, but they don't snap so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, Protectaclear comes up on the forum from time to time and is probably the coating of choice. However I am too mean to buy it as I don't do copper or brass often enough.

As for annealing saw blades, if you have bought a batch of blades and they keep breaking, you can make them more usable, by a quick flick with the mini-torch while in the frame, but not highly tensioned and then air cooling.

For silver, there is hardly any difference in sharpness or longevity, but they don't snap so much.
    Yes Dennis

Same here, that's the first time I've put the 2 metals together and it's not going to be a regular practice,
    polishing copper or brass is a nightmare.......way too much grain in the metal.

This expensive bottle of nectar will last me a lifetime.

Carlton