Thread: Wedding ring wearing thin.

Default Wedding ring wearing thin.

My wedding ring is wearing thin, only at the back, think its probably from wearing with an eternity ring. Trouble is it has channel set eleven diamonds set in a "v" shape to match the shape of the ring. Not sure what to do as I am not capable of resetting the diamonds if I take them out. The ring is white gold, bought before I knew anything about jewellery, and at a time when money was short. Any ideas anyone, I would prefer to use part of the front if I can, not really had much to do with soldering gold. It wouldn't be a problem if the diamonds weren't there but they are and I would like to keep them there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141206_173359.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	7062

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

taking the diamonds out is always best, but if you cannot, you can protect them and add a new shank to the underneath. Much like resizing a ring several sizes larger where you will have more metal. It will have two joins instead of the one. Cut away the bad part. Add a strip of matching metal to one side (make sure you have covered your diamonds when heating). Curve the ring around a sizer. Cut to size and solder the last part. Pickle, tidy, buff and clean

I suppose diamonds are strong enough to withstand a certain amount of heat, will covering them with thermo-gel be enough.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

that should work. Diamonds are the strongest (10 on the Moh Scale - measurement of hardness) But, they can still be injured by too much heat, and also by sudden cold from hot. Milky coloured diamonds are said to become the result of overheating. If in doubt, maybe ask Peter privately via PM for a quote. Peter can use his laser on the ring.

I will leave it until it gets very thin, and by that time I may be a bit more experienced. I am not too sentimental as hubby lost his ring not long after we got married, so he has a titanium one now. It would be nice to keep it the same shape as its quite unusual.