Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting shear

Default Cutting shear

Is this worth buying for no budget of expensive guillotine?http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325362-Hea...:B:BOC:GB:1123

It looks like good value, but the proof is in the use. It Is also very dangerous used without a guard, because a moments inattention will loose you part of a finger and there will be a lot of blood.

In jewellery making, most of us use a jewellers saw, because shears compress the edge of metal sheet and strips tend to become twisted. Dennis.

Looks quite substantial.
    I have a guillotine but only really use it for cuts that I want done quickly for the reasons Dennis mentions.
    Its quite handy for longer straight cuts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It looks like good value, but the proof is in the use. It Is also very dangerous used without a guard, because a moments inattention will loose you part of a finger and there will be a lot of blood.

In jewellery making, most of us use a jewellers saw, because shears compress the edge of metal sheet and strips tend to become twisted. Dennis.
    Same here, I just use my saw to cut straight lines, even at work where I'm surrounded by guillotines...... Carlton

lol.I'm bit worried as well with my 2 boys.Thank you Dennis.

Thank you Carlton

Thanks guys.Really appreciated your help.I don't have a proper table at the moment.I think i go for a nice table for my Christmas pressy.I need to drag my hubby in b&q..ha ha

I have a similar one which is in use all the time. You do need to attach it to a work surface though.

I suppose with all the posts that are being posted just now about ultrasonic cleaners and guillotines it all depends how much work is being produced in each workshop. If you are mass producing then the best you can buy of anything is going to make everything faster and therefore cheaper. If you aren't turning out a lot of work then sometimes the cheaper and yes sometimes slower equipment or methods still work. It all depends on your personal needs and funds at the time and your reasons for making and being creative.
    I still like to saw my metal rather than cut but that suits my needs and my cheap ultrasonic works for me as long as I use hot water and it is better than standing with a toothbrush and washing up liquid. You buy what you need at the time or what you can afford. I've bought so many expensive bits of kit recently ove run out of space and we've had to build a cabin just for me and a clean bench

That s what I'm worried about Caroline not much space in my table..��