Thread: Easy question marking out ring for drilling

Default Easy question marking out ring for drilling

Hi all. I'm very new to all this and I'm currently trying to make my first ring. It's a simple band in which I want to set 3 stones, same size equal distances apart... Do you think I can do it! I'm just wondering how you guys mark out and if you have any tips as every time I think it looks right once I open holes out to 2mm you can notice there uneven..any simple solutions?
    Many thanks
    Steve

I actually work by eye because Im lazy but you could use dividers.

Dividers, or a sharp scribe for marking out. As for the drilling, if accuracy is key then don't use a Dremel!

Also make a small divot with a scribe or a punch for which to place the drill bit into so it doesn't slip.

You need to use a drill where you can carefully control the speed ( therefore the accuracy ) such as a Pendant motor / micro motor.

Nick

As Nick says use dividers.
    First mark a centre line around the ring where you want the stones, marking with the dividers, then mark where you want the central stone and I use an automatic centre punch to make this mark on the centre line. I use one of these; http://www.amazon.co.uk/eclipse-65-1...unch+automatic
    When you have the centre marked set the dividers to the distance you want the stones apart, use dividers like these;http://www.amazon.co.uk/100mm-Easy-A...neers+dividers
    Then mark equal distances from the central stone mark with the dividers and use the centre punch to mark the settings, I would then use a 1mm. drill to drill holes for the settings before widening the setting holes with the setting burr. You will find that using the centre punch gives a good start to even drilling.

Sorry if this is to much info.
    James

James you never give too much info, its perfect!
    Just ordered myself both of those as Ive been looking for a decent priced auto punch and I don't like the dividers I have.
    Thank you.

Ah dividers! That makes sense. Thank you all very much! There now on order I've been trying to do it by marking it on masking tape then sticking this on the ring and then center punching. :-/
    Thank you all very much another lesson learnt
    Steve

You might also start with a smaller drill, and then change to the size you want. Make sure you are using a little lubricant on your drills too. edennis.