Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello to you all

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    Dennis, if you have a minute to spare could you have a look at the picture below and tell me if its the same as the one you bought, its described as '45k rpm handpiece marathon micro motor speed pedal control polisher dental lab by Hot Dental £159.99 If it's the same one, does it drill as well as polish? comments. Sue.
    Joella, I'm not sure what goes on under the heading 'Marathon Micromotor', or why the prices vary. The design of the control box also seems to change,but I don't think that affects the function. The optional foot control on some is a simple on off switch, or on others a variable speed control. On either they can be used without the foot pedal.

I bought mine as a spare, but like it so much, that I use it daily. However mine is no longer listed by Amazon, and was a lot cheaper. Remember you will possibly have to pay duty and certainly an administration fee to the carrier.

E bay have had some cheaper ones recently too. I cant' really advise you as I don't know whether they are different or all the same. However if you find one at £100 or so and is sold directly by Amazon or E Bay, you at least have some guarantee that they will be delivered.

Basically, they will polish with tools mounted on 2.35 mm shanks and screw mandrels, will fit standard burrs and and will drill with mounted drills on 2.35 mm shanks. Dennis.

Hi Sue,

I've got a Dremel that I started out with and a Foredom SR.

Although I don't really use the Dremel anymore, it is fine for polishing tasks but not any drilling or stone setting tasks due to not having a decent level of torque, or a foot pedal for controlling its speed.

Foredom SR motors are available for around £300 or possibly less, so they're not terribly pricey and I wouldn't be without mine now. Extra hand pieces are great too for different jobs but to start out with you really only need the quick release its supplied with.

Not a fan of micro motors myself, but each to their own as there are others who swear by them.

Great designs too by the way, they look great!

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a Foredom as the Dremel wasn't powerful enough. I had a bit of a problem with the handpiece as some of the burrs would slip in the handpiece. I emailed Foredom in America and they replaced it without question. A good company to deal with.

Hi Sue

I still use the cheap nonDremel with a flexi shaft that I started with two years ago! I know I'd be happier with a Foredom but want a rolling mill first, I think..... Love your designs.

Mel

Thankyou everyone for all your responses. You are all so helpful and encouraging.
    Tabby, thanks so much for your lovely comments, I hope one day I will be better at creating a more professionally finished product than I currently am! practice makes perfect. I love the beautiful jewellery on your phoenix tree site, its all so gorgeous and exciting! thanks for the advice.
    Enigma, I don't think I'll go for the dremel now, but I quite fancy cooksons light with 2 daylight tubes. That heart pendant was my 1st attempt at saw piercing.
    Thanks for your explanation Dennis, I'm much clearer now, you must think I'm really dim but I'm getting the hang of what these tools are all about now so thanks for your help, it really cleared things up for me.
    Nick, I'm interested in what you don't like about micromotors. The only reason I started to consider them was having been told that flex shafts need a lot of maintenance and care, and I don't know anything about tools or how to look after a flex shaft. It sounded like it needs as much care as a pet! which put me off and not having a flex that 'pulls' sounded like a good thing, but I'm not going to spend £500-600 or more so a cheaper micromotor might not be up to the job, I guess it would be a gamble as I wouldn't be sure what I was getting until I had already bought it, whereas the Foredom SR would definitely be more than up to it, and no gamble at all, so I'll probably go for that. Thanks again to you all for all your responses, especially at what is a very busy time of year for you all. P.s. Ive never used a forum before, so if I'm doing it wrong or not adhering to usual protocol, just let me know.
    Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    Hi Sue, Not a fan of micro motors myself, but each to their own as there are others who swear by them.Nick
    I was puzzled by that too. I'm not an advocate of cheap micromotors, except as a standby, or in case of a tight budget. But among UK jewellers, micromotors have not become popular, partly because of an innate conservative outlook and partly because from the usual suppliers, the price has been high. Also the cheaper ones do not offer a selection of hand pieces, or adjustable collets.

However world wide, micromotors can be fairly described as the modern successors of the flexshaft and in the sister profession of dental technology, flexshafts were phased out more than 25 years ago. Asking a dental technician to work with a flex shaft, would be analogous to giving him a penny farthing to ride. Dennis

I've used an expensive micro motor that a friend of mine has and I wasn't impressed. It felt flimsy, and he's already returned it three times due to it not working properly. It most certainly wasn't a cheap model either which is worrying.

Perhaps I've gotten used to the pendant motor, but have to admit that once I get used to something ( and I've no complaints ) then I tend to settle and become content with it. As for maintenance Sue, the flexshaft needs a quick wipe with a rag and a thin coating of lubrication after every 40hrs of use or something, and to be honest it's a very simple five minute job.

As for 'drag' then I really don't see it as a problem. The flexshaft is undeniably heavier than a micro motor cable, however I tend to use mine from behind and over the shoulder. Combined with a controlled close grip, then it doesn't present a problem for me.

Think that a Foredom pendant motor in a dentists looks a lot scarier and is noisier than a micro motor Dennis which I'm sure has played a bit part in their replacement, as well as on a hygiene level.. But I take your point.

As I said before, each to their own and suppose that applies to all the tools that we use doesn't it.

Nick