Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello to you all

Default Hello to you all

Hi, what a great forum, so interesting and friendly. I've really been struck by how generous you all are with advice, help and supportive encouragement. I started a silversmithing jewellery course as a hobby about a year ago and really love it (but I'm not very good...must try harder). At the risk of making you all want to jump out of the nearest window, as xmas is coming and santa might bring me something, I hesitate to bring it up, as it's such a frequent question - but, I don't have anything that drills or polishes/sands etc and the more I read about what to go for, the more confused I get.

It seems that I could go for a dremmel/proxxon with flex shaft attachment type set up, the cheapest option, but my understanding is that its not terribly good although as a beginner it may suit my needs for now.

Or I could go for an axminster pendant drill which is cheaper than others, but would have to know what handpiece to go for and decide what bits n pieces I would need to work in it ?.

Or I could bite the bullet and spend quite a lot more on a foredom SR with jewellers kit, which looks great but maybe overkill plus I'd also have to understand which handpiece would be best of the two

Or there is a strong 209a micromotor similar in price to the foredom but without all the bits n pieces. It says it's got 280gf.cm torque - but I haven't a clue if that's appropriate for my needs or not, and IS very expensive, and as far as I can see, it looks like if you want a micromotor then you should be expecting to pay at least £4/500 for it (which Im not going to do) for a good one.

Maybe I'm just getting bogged down for no reason - I have no experience of power tools, never having used any for anything before I started this hobby.

On the other hand, Id love a doming block and punches, or a barrel, and I really need a decent light, luckily I have a birthday not long after xmas!

Ps, I'm new to forums - Joella's not my name, it's Sue, but it already had that so I had to pick something else. Hope you can set me straight, and UNconfuse me!

Hi Sue, I'll say hello
    I can't give advice on pendant motors because in 30 years I've never had one, always had a bench polisher and recently bought a Proxxon bench drill. All other work was done by hand. You'll find the others have loads to say on their preferences for pendants

It depends what you want to make, a basic tool kit is always a good start and good lighting. Everyone is always happy to help but many will be busy with their Xmas orders so it might take a while for everyone to pop in

Hello Sue, I took up making silver jewellery as a hobby too, my daughter and I went to a local college for a beginners course and both are well and truly hooked. My daughter is on a limited budget and hasnt got a pendant motor, she gets by with a drill and polishes everything by hand apart from her tumbler which she is very pleased with, she only has files and a saw. I love tools, so I eventually went for the Foredom after using a small motor that my husband used to clean out computers with. That lasted me for a couple of years but it was more hassle than it was worth so I splurged out. You can get cheap Foredom copies from China, dont know what they are like. Just out of interest, Foredom is spelt differently.

Hi Joella, here are some past discussions. They might help if you have not read them already:

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...=pendant+motor.
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...t=Microm+Motor.

Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

Hi Joella. I have the the dremel flexshaft and i use it a lot. But I am also a hobbyist AND a beginner so have nothing to compare it to.

Welcome to the forum

Vos
    All the gear and no idea

Hi Sue and welcome! I started with a Dremel but moved to a Foredom so that I could have a foot pedal and be able to use two hands more comfortably.

Hi Sue.
    Hello from another Sue! I just introduced myself too. I also started out with a dremel and flex shaft. It was ok to a point but frustrating having to turn it off and on manually and not have a lot of control.. It was all I could afford to start with. I have now progressed to a pendant motor with foot control and wow, what a difference it's made. You can spend a fortune on tools and still find things you 'need'. Listen to the experts on here; they do know what they're talking about and are so helpful. Good luck!
    Sue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all, thanks for your responses, Dennis, if you have a minute to spare could you have a look at the picture below and tell me if its the same as the one you bought, its described as '45k rpm handpiece marathon micro motor speed pedal control polisher dental lab by Hot Dental £159.99 If it's the same one, does it drill as well as polish? if so, I think I'll get this as its a lot less than the foredom pendant and so if its capable of the same things I think it would be a better buy. Also, I've decided to be big and brave and show you all a selection of the things Ive made since starting this hobby. I made the ring first...it took me from September to Christmas! (please don't judge me too harshly). Thanks to you all for your comments. Sue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	7069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	7070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	7071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	7072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amazon micromotor.jpg 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	7073

I love your designs Joella.....you obviously have lots of creativity

Hi Sue

Its lovely to see your work, thanks for sharing !
    I really like the heart pendant with the cabochon.

As far as tools go I started out with a Dremel with flex shaft, the biggest issue for me was the lack of torque for drilling, burring and carving, they are crap at it tbh.
    Fine for sanding and polishing etc but just no torque.
    I bought a foredom pendant motor in the end and wish I had bought that first instead of wasting money on the Dremel, its great and I also love the foot pedal and hammer hand piece, makes life so much easier.
    But it does depend what you want to do.
    Lighting is essential, get yourself a decent daylight lamp, I have a big one on a stand from my painting days but Cookies do a good little one thats really cheap which I also use:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-1408