Hi, what a great forum, so interesting and friendly. I've really been struck by how generous you all are with advice, help and supportive encouragement. I started a silversmithing jewellery course as a hobby about a year ago and really love it (but I'm not very good...must try harder). At the risk of making you all want to jump out of the nearest window, as xmas is coming and santa might bring me something, I hesitate to bring it up, as it's such a frequent question - but, I don't have anything that drills or polishes/sands etc and the more I read about what to go for, the more confused I get.

It seems that I could go for a dremmel/proxxon with flex shaft attachment type set up, the cheapest option, but my understanding is that its not terribly good although as a beginner it may suit my needs for now.

Or I could go for an axminster pendant drill which is cheaper than others, but would have to know what handpiece to go for and decide what bits n pieces I would need to work in it ?.

Or I could bite the bullet and spend quite a lot more on a foredom SR with jewellers kit, which looks great but maybe overkill plus I'd also have to understand which handpiece would be best of the two

Or there is a strong 209a micromotor similar in price to the foredom but without all the bits n pieces. It says it's got 280gf.cm torque - but I haven't a clue if that's appropriate for my needs or not, and IS very expensive, and as far as I can see, it looks like if you want a micromotor then you should be expecting to pay at least £4/500 for it (which Im not going to do) for a good one.

Maybe I'm just getting bogged down for no reason - I have no experience of power tools, never having used any for anything before I started this hobby.

On the other hand, Id love a doming block and punches, or a barrel, and I really need a decent light, luckily I have a birthday not long after xmas!

Ps, I'm new to forums - Joella's not my name, it's Sue, but it already had that so I had to pick something else. Hope you can set me straight, and UNconfuse me!